NEL Coils.

Doctor of digology

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2014
Hey everyone. Really enjoy these threads on the Nel coils. I have a Fisher F75se. Do a lot of coinshooting w/Nel sharpshooter. Thinking of switching up my strategies and going to a Tornado or Hunter from Nel. Don't do a lot of relic hunting here in Cali but thinking the Tornado or something bigger might be in order for deeper coins. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as there is no trash.. I have the Hunter on the Coinmaster GT and i like it, but in trashy areas it is to big.. deep targets are masked by the trash. The hunter is not really that big and you can get away with it in light trash.. the Tornado.. No.. good for big clear areas and yes it would go deeper..
Please take some time to read this if you have not already done so from the many times I have posted it. Looks like you are a new forum member or at least you don't post much. This is a long article but has lots of pictures.. read it in 2 sittings then go hunt and read it again in full. It will help you in understanding what is going on under your coil and the pros and cons of different sizes.. Also some great tips on how to pinpoint and deal with iffy signals.
Truth About Search Coils ..

Doctor of digology

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2014
As long as there is no trash.. I have the Hunter on the Coinmaster GT and i like it, but in trashy areas it is to big.. deep targets are masked by the trash. The hunter is not really that big and you can get away with it in light trash.. the Tornado.. No.. good for big clear areas and yes it would go deeper.. Please take some time to read this if you have not already done so from the many times I have posted it. Looks like you are a new forum member or at least you don't post much. This is a long article but has lots of pictures.. read it in 2 sittings then go hunt and read it again in full. It will help you in understanding what is going on under your coil and the pros and cons of different sizes.. Also some great tips on how to pinpoint and deal with iffy signals. Truth About Search Coils ..

Thanks so much for that info. I have read that info on metaldetectingworld.com and it is the most comprehensive site I have ever seen. Thanks for posting that link. I wish there were more threads on coils only on the web. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a big coil but I'm ready to go once I find the right solution. I appreciate all your feedback.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a NEL 15" Attack Coil for AT PRO...
I should get it for a next weekend hunt. I wil post real feedback on its results after I use it. good or bad...

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any one running these coils on a Tesoro? would like to find someone running a Cibola, tejon or vaquero using these coils?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn’t wait even though it is 90+ degrees outside today. I took the NEL 15” Attack coil on my AT PRO and took it to a school that I did back in the late 70's that we took over 100 silver dimes off of it back then, mostly mercs. I also have used my Garrett Ace 350 and my AT PRO at this same school. My friend and I are going to go there Saturday morning and give it a really good first test. Tonight I only tested it for 15 minutes on a side field and found 2 dimes and a quarter all clad but all approx 5” deep. The dimes were low volume and hi ping repeatable sound. My goal is to go over the main field where all of the silver was found with my new coil and see how it does? I have not been able to find silver on this field with my other 2 detectors (cleaned out back in the day). I have a very good feeling after the short test tonight! It performs as advertized. It is so much more stable and quieter than the stock coils. I have both the 8.5 x 11" & the 5 x 8" PROformance DD search coils* for my AT PRO. Don’t get me wrong I love this detector I am just looking for that edge to get more depth out of a coil. I think I found it. It was quiet enough that I could run it at full sensitivity. The field is a low trash area which is perfect for this type of large coil. I do not think it will be good to use in a hi trash area (time will tell). This coil is so big you can cover a lot of ground very fast. I am very impressed so far. More to come :)
Gary from Oregon

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL ATTACK 15” COIL on AT PRO test ***

This is from Sunday mornings 3rd test run with this combo. As you can see by the pictures I found 39 coins (none good) at this 1912 house, in the front yard, that has been condemned by fire. (14) coins I found on one side of the front yard that I had went over 2X already with the 5x8 coil. The conclusion is that the original Garrett coils give you tons of info on the target below and tell you what you may not want to dig. The NEL coil tells you what you should dig. You will dig more bottle caps, but you will dig more coins! I found the dragonfly pin on the side I already went over 2X with the 5x8 coil? All of the signals I dug with the NEL coil were solid double pings. I do not know how I missed them with the factory coil? If this NEL coil was a piece of garbage I would also post that, but so far has been awesome. I found (5) wheats on the 2nd outing on lawns I already had went over 2x with the standard coils. I also found a nice “Black Hills” silver ring too! More feedback on the 15” ATTACK coil to follow.

Gary from Oregon md11.jpg md22.jpg md33.jpg md44.jpg md55.jpg md66.jpg md77.jpg md88.jpg md99.jpg

buyitagain

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2008
North Platte, Ne.
Detector(s) used
MXT,Troy X3, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what a SEF coil is but bought a ranger coil (think it was from the ukrane) for my ACE 250....Have to crank the sens down to 2 or 3 otherwise it chatters like mad.....Also have to pin point off the nose of coil but item is always right at the tip...

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run the NEL Tornado on one of my AT Pros all season and I love it. Pinpoints great, gets dimes at 10" and covers a lot of ground. The best $ I have spent since I bought the AT pro itself.

CapeTownBeachBum

Sep 21, 2014
Cape Town
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Teknetics G2 Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cant seem to find anywhere where it says which Nel Coil fits on my G2 ... anyone know perhaps please ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a link to Teknetics compatible NEL Coils.

Teknetics

Hope they turn out good coils - I just ordered a 9.5" Sharpshooter for my F-75

Fire9378

Mar 4, 2015
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
T-Rex Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone use a NEL coil on the beach and if so...how does it do? Wondering how it handles the wet sand. Looking into one for my ATPro. Would be using it mainly for the beaches and some local parks. Thanks.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone use a NEL coil on the beach and if so...how does it do? Wondering how it handles the wet sand. Looking into one for my ATPro. Would be using it mainly for the beaches and some local parks. Thanks.
Coil has nothing to do with wet sand.. that is all in how the MD handles ground balance.. wet sand is around 0 VID, Iron is -94 and up.. ATP is not good in wet sand from what i have read many times.. Multi-Frequency machines handle it fine. I had my new to me, still broken DFX on the beach and it worked great (except for the fact that it was still not working up to snuff after whites had failed to fix it the first time.)

Fire9378

Mar 4, 2015
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
T-Rex Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ground balance when I get to the wet sand and never had an issue. Just looking for some more depth. Beaches were very sanded in in Feb (last time I was home). Had a tough time finding anything. Have limited time at home so trying to make the most of it.

Seems like a lot of people have these coils, just looking for more honest opinions on them.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread