Nephew. Senior Project. Beginners luck.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nephew. Senior Project. Beginner's luck.

My nephew has to do a senior project for school. this is his senior year. It has to be about a career choice and you have to put in so-many hours shadowing a person in that field, and have to do a report, and have to have visual aids, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know how he got THIS approved, but his 'career choice' was 'historic metal detectorist', and they APPROVED IT!! No kidding! Can you make a career out of this without hitting the million dollar lucky find?

His mentor can't be a family member, so it is my GF, Digger Bee. I know I will also have to help him out.

We went out to an old local park. Digger Bee expalined to him the basics of the equipment, detector, pin pointer, digger, etc. Digger Bee used the AT Pro, as usual. I gave my nephew my Etrac and I kinda just helped and watched as he went.

Digger Bee didn't hit anything good in about 1/2 hour so she retreated to a picnic table area with her Nook, and watched. I gave Clad Brad the AT Pro and took the Etrac. I put him on Standard Mode, not Pro Mode, and the basic 'Coin' program. After finding a few clad pennies we found a 15'x15' area and there was at least 25+ coins in that area! Nice coin spill area. What was funny was Clad Brad hit a coin, put the detector down, dug the plug, pinpointed it with the ProPointer, put the ProPointer down to dig in the plug, and the ProPointer sounded off again! He put the ProPointer down on another coin! It was like this over and over in that little 15'x15' area! clad everywhere! Sometimes hitting a second coin on the back swing of hitting another coin.

After digging up all the clad, I could tell he was tired. I told Digger Bee that we were done for the day. We had a good first day! We had the detectors on and were walking back to the car. We were kind of swinging fast, walking, and talking and the AT Pro sounded off! We both stopped. I told him where to go back too. he scanned the area and hit a target about 6" down. A nice solid hit both ways! he digs down and pulls out a big hoop earing! It was branss or copper or bronze and had diamonds on it! He was amazed! I was amazed! We checked it out, the diamonds were not real, but he was SOO happy he hit a piece of jewelery.

When we got back to the car and were putting the detectors away and the gear, I asked what he thought about his first day?

He said 'he was amazed there was coins every square foot on and in the ground everywhere, and that every time out he would find jewelery'. I didn't want to 'burst his bubble', and let him lounge in the fact that he had a heck of a first day detecting!

Attachments

• Bradley AT Pro.jpg
    Bradley AT Pro.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Bradley  find (2).jpg
    Bradley find (2).jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Bradley  find (1).jpg
    Bradley find (1).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Park.jpg
    Park.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 66

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! Good story! Lets hope he makes it thru the tin foil and pull tab stage! I hope he knows when he digs up those historical artifacts they will first be what'z it's , that he will have to research and identify. Or you haven't told him that part yet? Maybe the school was thinking archeologist, in training?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread