New 2015 detecting goal, and its crunch time!

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New 2015 detecting goal, and it's crunch time!

I maintain a spreadsheet of my keeper coins throughout the year, and I was updating it today with the lone buffalo I found this afternoon when I realized I'm 4 keepers away from doubling my keeper count from last year. Although my silver-to-other ratio was higher last year (18 of 31 compared to 28 of 58 this year), it's been a considerably better year now that I've got some more time on my Etrac. I keep wheats but I don't count them, and I don't count tokens or foreign toward my yearly total...so that leaves me with a challenge to meet in the next few days. Let's do it!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice way to compare years, Maybe I'll do the same later this week.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If those are actual numbers, how the heck do you come across that many tokens??

define token please. I started metal detecting May of 2014 and I have dug 72 tokens. I dug a cache of "Shell" 24 aluminum tokens on one property. I consider these tokens, do you? I have also dug plenty of game tokens from the 70's thru the present.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
define token please. I started metal detecting May of 2014 and I have dug 72 tokens. I dug a cache of "Shell" 24 aluminum tokens on one property. I consider these tokens, do you? I have also dug plenty of game tokens from the 70's thru the present.

yep, I'd definitely consider those tokens and have dug some myself. When i think token I generally picture a coinlike item, advertising for something (i.e. Not kids' play money) that may or may not have monetary value. What I meant above by "if those are actual numbers" is that I can't wrap my head around digging that many tokens and foreign coins but no older US coins (which is what it seems he is implying). If that's the case, he's got to be hunting a very specific type of site I would imagine.

My token count went up tenfold this year because of a lucky set of finds that came out of a virgin site that used to be a drug store. Pulled about 10 or 11 of these tokens out of there plus two more tokens of other varieties not directly linked to the store itself:

Attachments

• mason2.JPG
    mason2.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost got it today! I pulled another buffalo, a merc, and a war nickel bringing me to within one of my goal. I thought I had it too considering I found all of those within about 5 minutes of each other on a new site, but nothing else was to be found. I did pull a nice looking button, a silver spoon, and a fired three-ringer on the same site though so it was a good day all around.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my comparison of 2014 vs 2015. 2014 was only 8 months long since I began detecting May 2014. 2015 consists of 10 months. The biggest difference is in 2014 I did few permissions and mainly hunted schools, parks, and other public lands, where as 2015 I hunted more permissions and fewer public lands. In 2014 I notched out zincs (big mistake). That's why I dug no gold and only 2 IHPs. My total face value coin total dropped by 30%, but my keepers increased by 73%. Permissions are the way to go !!!!

2014 I dug 22 silvers and in 2015 I dug 52.

Bucket List Comparison Dec 29 2015.JPG

To better see the spreadsheet, click on it and open it up in a new tab.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread