tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this last big dump of snow we had a week and a half ago sure announced our rainy season this year and the water hole along the old railroad grade has filled up and the variety of birds that like the shallow water are returning. There I'll see these little Sand Pipers looking birds, Ducks, Geese, Herons, Egrets, American Avocet's and now these things with long legs and long bills walking and probing below the water. They're bodies are bigger then a mallard and in the photo I can see they have a white on it's side V shape marking around the eyes. I really couldn't get in close with two dogs in my left hand and holding the camera in the right, plus it was overcast sky's and drizzly rain and that makes for poor lighting. I hope they'll be around tomorrow because it's said to be a better day on Sunday. At dusk this place is alive with the sounds of several types of frogs singing. It last about 3 month and then it all dry's up and everyone leaves for the season.

Attachments

• walk 052717 1.jpg
    walk 052717 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • walk 052717 2.jpg
    walk 052717 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • walk 052717 3.jpg
    walk 052717 3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still good pics. It's been snowing off and on all day here.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an ibis.
Sure is pretty country.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an ibis.
Sure is pretty country.
Yep I see it's a Glossy Ibis on a online bird ID site. Dang thing looks like it be better along the Nile in Egypt or down on the Keys with you Black Bart, then here in Colorado. I sure like that fish your cradling..What is it? A barracuda ??

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still good pics. It's been snowing off and on all day here.
I guess it really came down in Winter Park. I left the mountains going down the Fairplay way last Thursday I saw all the long weekend front rangers had already begun to head in to the hills. I was thinking many would be going into some bad weather situation and made me wonder will anyone succumb of hypothermia this holiday weekend?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I see it's a Glossy Ibis on a online bird ID site. Dang thing looks like it be better along the Nile in Egypt or down on the Keys with you Black Bart, then here in Colorado. I sure like that fish your cradling..What is it? A barracuda ??

Thanks tamrock. My fish is a wahoo, very good eating and higly sought as a game fish. Soon as my ibis friends show up ill snap a pic of them. They are very friendly and almost tame. There is a flock of a dozen or more that hang in the neighborhood, and you can get very close to them . Most are white down here but there are a few that are mottled brown like yours. Not sure if they turn white as they get older, or are a different species mixed in with the white ones. Or maybe the brown ones are females of the same species. Ill have to look it up.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tamrock. My fish is a wahoo, very good eating and higly sought as a game fish. Soon as my ibis friends show up ill snap a pic of them. They are very friendly and almost tame. There is a flock of a dozen or more that hang in the neighborhood, and you can get very close to them . Most are white down here but there are a few that are mottled brown like yours. Not sure if they turn white as they get older, or are a different species mixed in with the white ones. Or maybe the brown ones are females of the same species. Ill have to look it up.
Well that's one heck of a fish. I've only fished the ocean a couple times in my life from the shore in California and I wished I had the chance to do some deep sea fishing. Maybe someday I'll find a way to try that?... Ya know I did see those white Ibis birds walking around Disney World last March when me and my wife who loves that place went. One was sitting a few feet away from me when we had a bite to eat at a little food stand. I think it was hoping I'd share my my food with it.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your mystery bird is a Curlew.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OD how ya doing?. I found a pretty nice bird website.Glossy Ibis - Whatbird.com and I'm very certain it's the Glossy Ibis, based on the markings I could see around the eyes. On this website you can search by state and it offers a general silhouette of the bird your hoping to identify http://www.whatbird.com/birdexpert/StateColorSize/2/883/birdexpert.aspx Hopefully they'll come around again in better light and I won't have the dogs with me to deal with and I can maybe get some better shots. This particular marsh is pretty popular with a verity of water birds it seems.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread