New Dirt, 1812 Navy B., 1813 Copper, and a cool...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky, (dirt still not hard in cold country) got out today with Freddy67. About 6 hours of dig time.

Left at 9 am, got permission by 10 am.
Fred said he had wanted a "ship" coin, I told him quite a few (tokens) have a ship on them, you'll get one.
Sure enough he does, a 1843 New Brunswick Half Penny, Not bad shape either (sorry no pic.)
I got an 1813 George III One Stiver at the first site, this is the first full one penny of this type I got, though I have a half penny version from a few years back, and a couple 1838 One Stivers.

Went back to see the farmer, whom I gave a couple of similar dug coins from last year, he was happy, and we were off to site number 2. More new dirt, mucky, dirty, sticky, kind of dirt. This is where I got my Navy Lieutanant Button. Kind of a surprise really as is near the middle of nowhere. and about the last target of the day pull up a "blob" of lead, but wiping the muck off I see something... A shield in the middle and decorated around the edge, Anyone have any idea ?

Also a pewter "star" I doubt anything special, but cool find.

Pics.

Group shot.
IMG_1743.JPG

The "thing"

IMG_1749.JPG

Button before, wish it had some gilt left, but hey I "saved it"

IMG_1745.JPG

Button after lemon juice (few seconds)

IMG_1748.JPG

This is what the reverse of the stiver should look like

1_stiver_1813_rev.jpg

That's all folks,
GOOD LUCK OUT THERE.

Upvote 18
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blob cleaned up a bit.
Is pewter, one piece. tiny bit of flaking, and rough on back.
Was once "silver" plated (or something shinny)
Back has 4 mounting points.

I don't think clock pendulem, because of mounting type, and I have a pendulem that is much bigger
Most of the rosetts I've seen have 2 mount points ? So maybe, but I'm thinking not.

A little banged up, but appears to be a cross in the middle ?

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great navy button buddy. Hope you get out there a time or two before the big freeze

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilt or not you still snagged one. Has been a very long time since I've dug one of those crowned Navy buttons.

Is 1812 right for these, for some reason I'm thinking a bit earlier?

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Rick.
Love the 1812 button. Big on my list.
And does the thing have a lead back? I found a few of them, thought they were fancy rosettes.

Not a "lead back" as it is all one piece, Agree "could be rosette" but attachment says "I don't know"

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow I missed this one Rick - sorry. That huge silver gilted item is interesting. My vote's in for a large leather adornment where the hooks had broken off. Something that big might have needed 4 hooks instead of 2. Maybe when they tried to remove the item from the leather it was mounted on the hooks broke which rendered it useless, and therefore it was tossed out. Just a theory ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread