Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1787 New Jersey Copper Great Detail found in Mass M.32-T

Although a common variety NJ, had some awesome detail! My brother in law,(DigginitRTB), found this a couple hrs. ago. Said it was found in an open field, but still plenty of frost still. I only posted the pics after peroxide, but I do have the frozen clump of sod pics he sent. He brought it down to my shop and I identified the variety. Don......Send me a PM and I'll tell you the county and town it was found in. Hogge:icon_thumleft: This is the final product AFTER the peroxide bath. I have pics of when it came from the frozen clump. Coin was about 4" down.

Attachments

• photo+1.JPG
    photo+1.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 471
  • photo+2.JPG
    photo+2.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 468
  • photo+3.JPG
    photo+3.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 451
  • photo+4.JPG
    photo+4.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 457
  • photo+2.JPG
    photo+2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 381
  • photo+4.JPG
    photo+4.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Upvote 13
OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great seeing that nice brown color, something I don't ever recall seeing on a copper that old here.
I know. I couldn't believe it myself when I first saw it. But, it is what it is. Soil must be pretty good to coins from that place. We have permission and I'll be with him when he goes back. Must be more of "the good stuff' there!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hogge you're making me jealous. Another guy I'm going to have to start following around. I love state coppers. I'm not too far from Great Barrington 8-)

Weird I built a log home in Great Barrington years ago.

diggingitrtb

Mar 14, 2008
hinsdale mass
Detector(s) used
whites prizem 4
I had the itch to get out I was only goin to check the field for snow and to see if it was possible to swing my detector when I showed up the field was3/4 melted it was cold and raining but I fiquered I drove here get out and try it dug a few bullets an arrow some junk ,by now my feet are wet and I'm thinking it's almost time to go then it happens detector banging on 50 cent at 4 inches i dug a clump of frozen earth and there if was sticking out all green hogge has a pic I sent him before I even knew what it was. After rubbing snow on it with my fingers the date appeared 1787 you know at that point I was smiling. That is the New Jersey copper I found. Had hogge post it for me

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the itch to get out I was only goin to check the field for snow and to see if it was possible to swing my detector when I showed up the field was3/4 melted it was cold and raining but I fiquered I drove here get out and try it dug a few bullets an arrow some junk ,by now my feet are wet and I'm thinking it's almost time to go then it happens detector banging on 50 cent at 4 inches i dug a clump of frozen earth and there if was sticking out all green hogge has a pic I sent him before I even knew what it was. After rubbing snow on it with my fingers the date appeared 1787 you know at that point I was smiling. That is the New Jersey copper I found. Had hogge post it for me

Congrats! I love the state coppers. They are very hard to find in that condition

TwoRivers

Oct 1, 2012
Northeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Minelab Sovreign XS

Minelab Excaliber 1000................Garrett Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great find and nice work on the cleaning........I found the same coin a number of years ago but never cleaned it.
I'm going to try your method of cleaning it. My coin has detail as well...

John in Va..

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Hogge, glad to see you are still at it. Nice job on the coin buddy.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
That is a great looking New Jersey indeed, have a feeling more coppers will be surfacing soon, when you guys get back to the place :thumbsup:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredibly kind soil. Around here, wheats don't look that good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions