All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome to the forum. When you say "mini", what size are we talking about ? They made some little toy-type ones, that I believe were actually cigarette lighters. Good luck on getting the pix posting protocols down pat. Looking forward to seeing your finds.

OP
OP
B

Brandon170

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not very good on the computer, I will see if my wife can help me out later on getting pics on here. Its close to 5 inches long and heavy. its also pretty rusted but you can see a spot on each side where it hinged and you can see where nipple or breech plug or whatever was at.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party. The wives always help us out in so many ways. That's how I learned to post pics too.....

OP
OP
B

Brandon170

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1389.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Brandon170

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally had a chance to get my wife too post a pic. Let me know what you think.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you tell what it's made of? Is it magnetic?

My dad used to have on that sat on a bookshelf, about that size, I think it was bronze, and had cast frame and wheels. I don't think it had any particular value.

This isn't it, but it looked real similar.

il_fullxfull.299241172.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First... Welcome to Tnet...

From your picture it appears that you have found an iron toy cannon.
Which is a rare and great find.
A few more pictures ... close ups of the bore and touch hole IF it has one would confirm this for sure.

Take a flashlight and try to see of the bore goes to the rear area of the cannon...
IF there is a visible touch hole then try and clear it of debri... and take flashlight and place against the touch hole and look down bore to see if light is visible.
IF you can see light... this would be a "real" one.
If no "through" bore with a touch hole... then this is a reproduction "fake" of an actual one.

Congrats on a stellar find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brandon170

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys sorry for the delay. Yes a magnet does stick to it. Ill let ya all know how I found it. I'm a dredge operator at a sand and gravel pit. The dredge pumps material out of the lake thru almost a mile of pipe into a box before its run thru a shaker screen deck. I'm always finding sinkers and old bullets in the box. Seems like heavy stuff gets caught in the box. The box is where I found the cannon. The bore looks partially open but the touch hole is rusted shut. I'm not sure how long it was in the the lake but i guess when it went thru all that pipe it probably cleaned it up a little. I could probably clean it up and see if I can get the barrel and touch hole opened up but would that hurt it in any way? I will also get a few better pics. Thank you for the comments so far.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread