New Member Intro: Chuck Wilder

Chuck Wilder

Sep 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, fellow enthusiasts,

I am at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, with the US Army, but packing for retirement to the Manchester, New Hampshire, USA area. I have not used my detectors for several years, as I was obsessed first with orchid culture and since then with malacology - well, with collecting sea shells. I need to simplify and condense my household, and am returning to detecting as my primary hobby, partly to condense my hobby life and largely because I have missed detecting, very much. I detected primarily in the Republic of Korea, primarily in Bupyong, between Seoul and Incheon, where the Japanese had brought, by rail, shipments of all kinds of metal, to smelt and re-use it. My oldest coin dig from there is one Chinese Pan Liang, 220 BC. I also hunted, only a couple of times, Haeundae Beach, Busan, Korea, visited by up to half a million (yes, literally) Koreans each of the last few days of each short summer.

I have my old White's Spectrum and slightly newer Minelab Excalibur 800 and Explorer. I very recently bought but have not even yet taken from the box a new Excalibur II.

I am anxious to review comparison tests of the effectiveness of some "top" discriminating detectors, such as the Minelab CTX 3030, and would appreciate your advice regarding selection of one of those. I expect to use one primarily for dry-land relic and coin hunting, but shallow water-proofing may be very useful in junky areas that might drive me mad via the Excal II. Thanks for allowing me to join and thanks for any advice and/or companionship you may provide me.

Chuck

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Chuck and
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Take a look at Sub-Forums: New Hampshire for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your retirement state.​

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have been metal detecting in some exciting places. Welcome to the Party. Thank you for your service. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Chuck, thank you for your service.

If you choose the CTX, it's a hoss! Actually to start detecting, it's turn on to the stock menu and go. Dig the repeatable solid tones, and you'll be digging right out of the box (I forget, you may have to charge it first).

To master the machine takes hundreds of hours and study - buy the Andy Sabisch book. You'd be swinging a very deep machine (if set up right).

The Deus would be simpler and lighter, and half the price, and they're darned good machines. Though Deus users protest, a CTX set up correctly will go far deeper.

With your Excal, don't buy the CTX for the water. You'll end up sticking to the Excal for that. The Excal is very easy to learn, but you'll be years learning new tricks.

Don't forget that if you're hitting the water you'll need a good scoop. I have the Stealth and love it. But it is expensive. Many of us here believe it is the best. Went river hunting a couple weeks ago with those big rocks. The biggest I flipped out of the way was around 40 lbs, and my partner flipped out one pushing 100 lbs with his Stealth.

Neither of our scoop show any damage. You're looking at $300 for the big ones.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Welcome Home. Greetings from Boston. Welcome to TNet. Thanks for your Service. First We need to know where you plan to settle to help you hook up with the local Club and detectorists there ok. God Bless You. PEACE:RONB

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

CTX 3030 is THE machine right now for all around land and shallow water hunting. The Excalibur II is top-o-the-line fresh and saltwater machinery. Go get some Brother, and keep your head down! :skullflag:

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from NE Ohio and Thank You For Your Service!!!!

Engine

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for yr service from me & mine as well.
You sound like a well traveled & Rounded man with all those hobby's .
I agree we need to narrow them down as time/ life , Room , & Money goes on.
GL The NE is a Great place to hunt , oh & that beach in Korea (I can only imagine the stuff u found).

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from NC and congrats on the retirement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions