All Treasure Hunting

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new machine I hope you will love it. There is a ton of info out there on the equinox . Personally I would just say keep it simple to start with use a lower sensitivity at first (18-20) and stick with a factory set mode and learn it well. One thing that is frustrating at first is the Equinox does seem to like nails especially bent ones and round heads and also flat round iron. Sometimes when I am detecting in fields of nails they are all easy to tell then I will get one that just sounds good and sticks out from the others as a good target , I cant explain why , maybe how it is oriented or something. It just takes time learning to differentiate the iron and after a while you will know it. Look for a good consistent signal in different directions and it is almost always non ferrous. Good luck

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great machine. Lots to learn. Detect often and dig everything. You said you’re close to the ocean and mostly sand. Use beach mode 1 on the sand and 2 in the surf. Good luck.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it should serve you well, which one did you get?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let us know what aspects you are struggling with. The Nox can be a bit frustrating while learning. Be patient, put in lots of hours. I like the advice of keeping the sensitivity lower maybe 18 to start. Some of my best finds were with sensitivity all the way down to 15.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I hear the tones better with lower recover speed than the stock setting. That is 2 on my 600. 800 would be 4. I find the signal is too short at setting 3. Being you are in sandy soil, I'd expect deep finds, and having a longer tone just works better IMO. I mainly hunt for coins.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear the tones better with lower recover speed than the stock setting. That is 2 on my 600. 800 would be 4. I find the signal is too short at setting 3. Being you are in sandy soil, I'd expect deep finds, and having a longer tone just works better IMO. I mainly hunt for coins.

Totally agree with the swing speed of 2. After dialing my 600 back from a sweep speed of 3 to 2 and sensitivity at 18, I really started hearing everything really clear and the goodies started to talk loud and clear. Congrats on your purchase; don’t give up, this is an extremely capable machine. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the new purchase! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So is recover speed and swing speed one in the same?

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 800 is my favorite machine I have every used by far. So I'll post up the few tips I have for it in case it helps.

I had a problem with the first round of software updates they released and some other people reported the same thing. Ghost signals, pointpoint all over the place, etc. That said the latest update seems to have fixed all of that for me so the first thing I would suggest is making sure you have the software updated.

2nd thing is use the stock headphones or the module if you are going wireless. I connected some regular bluetooth headphones to it as a test a while back and the delay was really bad, probably because of the cheap headphones. The module + wired phones or the stock wireless headset work perfectly for me.

You can try to switch to Beach2. There are spots on my beach that are just "bad" areas. False signals and interference. Those places I switch to Beach2 and go down to 15 and that handles most of it. Once I am out I move back up towards 20 and then switch back to Beach1 when I am out of the interference. Same places every time, not sure if there is a cable buried or something but it is very noticeable and my first time through one of them I thought there was a problem with my detector which was years before my 800 but same spots same problems.

I constantly switch back and forth between all metal and discrim just to test and I end up digging small pieces of dune fencing from over a foot so the device has the chops to be really good on the beach.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
like any machine go low and slow

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks I got my machine a few weeks ago and have bee out practicing It seems I am struggling,, I have a place to hunt near the ocean it a house built in 1910 should be somewhat target rich any thoughts on mode the soil is almost all sand,, I wold love to hear your thoughts Thanks

With all the machines you have listed, I assume you have been detecting for a while now, so, you should know the basics. At a home site with sandy soil, I would start with Park 1, sensitivity adjusted as high and stable as possible, All metal, so, you can hear partially masked targets, Recovery speed adjusted as needed to either add depth (lower number setting and use a slower swing speed) or to raise the number (faster recovery speed) to hunt among the nails and other iron targets that plague house sites. I personally like 50 tones for better tone I.D, but, your choice on that. The stock 11" coil should be fine unless the site is absolutely covered with nails. Then the 6" would be a better choice. If you haven't done so already, load the newest software version that includes the F2 iron bias option. I like setting it to max (9) in heavy iron, but, you might get some masking at that setting if targets are under the nails. Adjust as necessary to get the right balance of depth, sound, and unmasking by sampling a few targets with various settings to see which gives you the best signal. A slow sweep speed will help unmask targets as well as get max depth. If you dig all signals for a while, you'll get used to what is worth digging and what isn't. If there is something in particular that you're struggling with, let us know. Oh, sweep speed and recovery speed are two different things. The recovery speed is how fast the processor in the detector can analyze one target, reset, and analyze the next target. Your sweep speed is how fast you're swinging the coil from side to side.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
don't get caught up in learning everything too soon. Just use field or park, either 1 or 2 and you should be fine. Noise cancel, ground balance and just hunt like you would with your AT Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions