tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got permission on a property that was a turn of the century luxury hotel. It burned in 1963 and the land has been vacant since the building was removed shortly thereafter. The current owner said yes to my detecting there. Barely touched it in 4 hours of hunting. Lots of trash to sort through, first signal was the spoon. Do not think it is silver. Next a copper penny, then a 1940 nickel. Ok things are looking up. 15 pennies and 2 hours later, I am starting to wonder. Then it comes, same signal as all the screw caps, but very clear. My first 2 cent, 1868. gave me the energy to find 3 dimes and a quarter, the shiny quarter was an eyeball find someone dropped walking by where I had been ten minutes before. Lots more to cover there, so I will be busy. PICT0488.JPG PICT0489.JPG PICT0490.JPG

Upvote 24

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats of that 2-cent piece. Those are hard to find. Short run - not many out there to be dug.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find ! That unit has eluded my coil to this day, so it's still on my bucket list...congrats, ddf...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging a bucket list coin. :occasion14: Gotta love the feeling you get when you see a "first" in the plug.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the 2-cent piece, looks like it has great detail! :occasion14:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats the 2 cent piece, still looking to scratch that off my list.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Two Cent piece. Those are a great coin to dig.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding a bucket-lister is always awesome. Your 2-center is a better date and in really nice shape- Congrats on the (hopefully!!) first of many!!

-- Jeff --

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Why don't you think the spoon is silver, tom? Does it have any identifying features? The 1868 2-center is a gem of a find!

OP
OP
tomhighland

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't had a chance to clean it up yet. Can't judge by the depth due to the demolition. But it was at the corner where the local events are held now. Online there are pictures of the Chippewa hotel as it was in the 20' s, then through the years to include the actual fire. I think by 1963 they no longer were considered a luxury hotel. It would be nice to find a bunch of melted silver. The strangest thing is out of 23 pennies, no wheats and only 2 zinc. My buddy scored there this morning. His first half dollar, a 1943 liberty.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 2 center is amazing. Your buddy's half dollar says there's more there. Good luck!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 2 cent coins are so unique.........:treasurechest:.........sure do understand that 2nd wind you caught after pulling that out!! Makes that permission a lot more appealing for the next rounds..........good luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread