New site Mack Points

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been digging on a new site the last couple of weeks.
These points look like PickWick's but we are working with a professor that thinks these are what is called Mack points unique to SC,GA and NC.
Nice big points and finding a lot of them.
All opinions are welcome!

pickwicktip.JPG image2.jpg image3.jpg image4.jpg image6.jpg pickwicksite.JPG pickwick3.JPG pickwick2.JPG Knife.JPG image1.jpg

Upvote 0

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
I found a half of a point (base) almost identical to that largest point in the center of the frame here in southeast Kansas. I'll have to dig it out and take a look at it. Never really knew what it was

OP
OP
T

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a half of a point (base) almost identical to that largest point in the center of the frame here in southeast Kansas. I'll have to dig it out and take a look at it. Never really knew what it was

Please post it the more examples the better.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my North Carolina tray from my states collection and the only Stemmed Point in there that looks similar to yours is right in the middle.

Attachments

• North Carolina (11).jpg
    North Carolina (11).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
They are so beautiful, i had to look again! Way cool sir!

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some awesome finds you are digging up! Most all the ones I have found and seen in my area come from one small area here in York County. Found only a few others around York and Chester county over the years. Always had been told they were Morrow Mountains till Dr, Goodyear looked at them. We were digging up a lot of pottery with them and I always thought they were associated. Here's a few of them
026 (640x480).jpg 098 (640x480).jpg 005.JPG 099 (640x480).jpg

OP
OP
T

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some awesome finds you are digging up! Most all the ones I have found and seen in my area come from one small area here in York County. Found only a few others around York and Chester county over the years. Always had been told they were Morrow Mountains till Dr, Goodyear looked at them. We were digging up a lot of pottery with them and I always thought they were associated. Here's a few of them
View attachment 1411539 View attachment 1411540 View attachment 1411542 View attachment 1411543

Thanks SCrocks for posting. We are talking to Dr. Goodyear as well. He wants to see them in person. He is trying to map out the distribution of these which his is referring to them as Mack Points.
We found a broken base which I did not have a picture of to post, but is was twice the width of the large one we have so that may have been a 6 inch point when whole. Those are some great finds you have. It's always nice to add to the knowledge base for others. Love these points they are so big for our area.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
T

Triumph

Oct 7, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is my North Carolina tray from my states collection and the only Stemmed Point in t.here that looks similar to yours is right in the middle.

Thanks Grim It does look like one of these points. It looks very similar to the points SCRocks posted probably rhyolite.
Thanks for posting!

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool!! You have some great spots to hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread