New to metal detecting

Feb 13, 2023
Hey all. I'm new to the site and new to metal detecting. I'm trying to figure out what detector to buy. I've notice they range from $50-$5000. I don't want to spend a fortune getting started but want something that will pick up small and large gold, but still be able to pick up in coins and other metals. Any recommendations? Are older models still good to use? Thanks in advance! Happy hunting.

Upvote 7

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before buying a detector make sure you know what environment you want to be hunting in. For example a detector used in the woods vs. a detector used in the surf of an ocean. For general purpose beginner stuff like front lawns and ballparks any entry level detector will do, they're usually in the $100-$300 range. Anything brand new for less than $100 might be junk so be careful what you're buying. I would suggest something like this, it was like my original detector:
Screenshot_20230213-140004_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on what your definition of "small gold" is, and your budget. I'm a fan of getting the best tool you can afford to buy. If you buy a popular model, you can always resell it if you discover that detecting isn't for you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark is correct, get the best detector you are comfortable spending the money for whatever one it is, for everyone who says I wish I hadn't bought this detector, there are 5 who end up purchasing an upgrade within a couple of years, even less.

Decide if you are going to hunt land, water, or both is the water fresh or salt? When you say small gold what do you consider small gold, earring, or tiny gold nugget?

It is like scoops for hunting beaches, people think $60 or $75 is a lot of money for a scoop when actually a good scoop for hunting beaches is close to $200, and 5 years down the road they can still sell that scoop all day long for $150 used.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the minelab vanquish series and nokta simplex are great entry level detector
Unless you're hunting in salt water or nugget hunting.....

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
like already mentioned above, first it really depends what and where you plan to hunt and what for? Answer these questions first and better responses will show up! I'd recommend going for a used machine geared towards what and where you plan to hunt, plenty of used machines out there for sale right now.... If you end up taking to the hobby then later you can upgrade to the higher end stuff.... good luck and have fun!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a newbie to the hobby, buying from a reputable dealer, preferably local, is what I would recommend, regardless of whether you buy new or used. That way you can get support after the sale in case something is not right with the detector, or, you need some advice on how to operate it. If you have a dealer close by, you might be able to put your hands on a few to try out, and get a tutorial on how best to set it up for your local area.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Oregon, and welcome to the hobby! Good luck on finding your first detector.

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
The first thing i dug up was a door...to a whole new world. What are you wanting to find. Three areas of most detecting are coins and treasures like old things people dropped. next is gold. then there is water finding like beaches and streams, rivers sand bars, etc. this includes the first two but a waterproof machine.
Find a detector club near you and go to meetings FIRST. this introduces you to experienced people. they will have a used detector for sale. they will know the local areas to hunt or invite you to one of their organised hunts. you will learn more and faster from people in the hobby. learning you dont like to kneel down and dig in the dirt 100 times a day is a GOOD thing.
If you want to find gold in any size get a gold detector. if you want coins and such get a coin "shooter". I do recommend used at first in case you dont like the work of detecting as 50% of used detectors out there come from people who did not enjoy hunting for hours and finding nothing. good days; bad days in every hobby. this is a hobby and you wont get rich quick.
PATIENCE rules and rewards.
Happy Trails.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all. I'm new to the site and new to metal detecting. I'm trying to figure out what detector to buy. I've notice they range from $50-$5000. I don't want to spend a fortune getting started but want something that will pick up small and large gold, but still be able to pick up in coins and other metals. Any recommendations? Are older models still good to use? Thanks in advance! Happy hunting.
Welcome to TNet...!
And, WELCOME to the (addictive) hobby of Metal Detecting...!
Yes, please get an entry-level (detector) machine, second-hand even.
Then the process of getting to know your machine, but
pass all kinds of metal, over your coil - so you can soon figure out what your machine says during a hunt.
Each solid target should then be guessed , before digging it up - to verify or not, what you figure it is..
Good Luck and Happy Hunting...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread