New to Posting Here

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X5, Garrett AT Pro, Red Racer 2, Fisher F22, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day Everyone

My name is Brandon. I am an Earth science teacher, author, etc. in Upstate NY but have family in NW CT and the Berkshires. My science teacher, Mr. Romeo used to tell us stories about prospecting in the area of Chibougamau when he worked for a mining company back in the 50's or 60's and I always dreamed of finding some gold as well.
Growing up I searched for arrowheads, fished, dug the bottle dumps, and after the Marine Corps I used my tax refund to purchase a detector. I have detected for about 25 years now and found a lot of great treasures. Since I moved to NY I began finding arrowheads and found myself enjoying the solitude of searching for them as much as finding silver and copper artifacts. Lately though, I have the gold bug. I have searched a bit in NY, Mass, and VT, without even a speck, but did have the opportunity to visit my buddy Nate in Anchorage last year and we hit a few spots about an hour and a half away and found some gold. I met a prospector there while Nate was at work, and he was kind enough to let me set up next to him. He showed me the ropes and we talked about life. If most prospectors are like him, then I'm in the right place. We were panning a public stream, but I asked if he minded if I bring Nate back to the spot and he was happy to oblige and thanked me for the consideration. Nate and I had a great time sluicing and even tried our hand at high banking when some other guys set up near us with their equipment. I think that I'm more into the solitude of sluicing, but it sure was cool to see all that gold in the pan after running several buckets in a few minutes. Alaska was all an unforgettable experience and I went home with a vial with some color in it.
On arrival home I purchased a used sluice, since I left mine with Nate for when I return :), and picked up a Gold Sucker Back Packer 2 that is really neat. I tried a few spots in VT, NY, and Mass but no gold yet. I did catch some nice brook trout though.

I look forward to learning more about this new passion and making a few new friends a long the way.

Have a great winter everyone!

Brandon

Attachments

• GOLD!!!.jpg
    GOLD!!!.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 12.02.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 12.02.53 PM.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 2 cent piece.jpg
    2 cent piece.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 2nd Reg of Artillery.jpg
    2nd Reg of Artillery.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Buttons Traded to Donnie.jpg
    Buttons Traded to Donnie.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 26
  • East India House Token.jpg
    East India House Token.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 28
  • Half cent 1740.jpg
    Half cent 1740.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 29
  • Skull Cross.jpg
    Skull Cross.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Snake Buckles.jpg
    Snake Buckles.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 26
  • Union Buckles.jpg
    Union Buckles.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Upvote 23
OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X5, Garrett AT Pro, Red Racer 2, Fisher F22, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good dectorists in the area have pounded the parks and woods, but still plenty to be found.
If you find the right areas it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Found 10 days ago an 1820 large cent right near Powers Pub.

OP
OP
Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Nov 24, 2023
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find the right areas it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Found 10 days ago an 1820 large cent right near Powers Pub.
That is awesome I Live 5 minutes from there if you ever in the area and want someone to search around with let me know. My buddy owned that place and when they were doing some work he said I should get in there and search around and I never made it. I'm glad you found a good one!

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome I Live 5 minutes from there if you ever in the area and want someone to search around with let me know. My buddy owned that place and when they were doing some work he said I should get in there and search around and I never made it. I'm glad you found a good one!
I will contact you, thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions