New to the Equinox 800

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a lot of research from you tube and this forum. I decided my first ever detector will be the 800, I'm sure some may think this is too much for a newbie but I've saved up over a year and wanted something that I wouldn't have to upgrade. My detector will be here in two days along with my pin pointer and all the accessories I will need to start off with. I'm really excited and so are my two boys who want to go out with me and dig.

Quick question, with being new to detecting I figured I would start off just using the presets on the nox 800 and play around with it in my yard. Possibly even bury some items to learn the tones and numbers. Is there anything else you all would suggest for me to learn and get use to this new machine? I appreciate any info and suggestions,

Thanks
Jason

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a lot of research from you tube and this forum. I decided my first ever detector will be the 800, I'm sure some may think this is too much for a newbie but I've saved up over a year and wanted something that I wouldn't have to upgrade. My detector will be here in two days along with my pin pointer and all the accessories I will need to start off with. I'm really excited and so are my two boys who want to go out with me and dig.

Quick question, with being new to detecting I figured I would start off just using the presets on the nox 800 and play around with it in my yard. Possibly even bury some items to learn the tones and numbers. Is there anything else you all would suggest for me to learn and get use to this new machine? I appreciate any info and suggestions,

Thanks
Jason

The best advice I can give you is to start out with factory set programs, PARK 1 to be exact.
Also, in your settings dial down the iron bias from the factory settings. Perhaps 1 or 2 at most.
And lastly, the most important thing- Press the "horse shoe" button and try your best getting used to hearing ALL the sounds. The low grunts are iron and will conceal good targets. The more you can learn to use this pseudo all metal mode and hear the high tones through it the better your chances are of unmasking finds everyone else has left behind. It is hard, it is noisy but with the 800 you CAN turn down the iron audio volume to be less than good signals are.

Be aware that the 38-40 signals on your ID are more than likely iron wraparound signals and not worth digging. Listen first, check your screen after. It's tough and at times it can be overwhelming to hear every single sound the Equinox relays to you, but in all that chaos you will find things other people have missed or been too lazy to dig.
Have patience, bury good targets and throw some garbage around them in places.
Best of luck.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a good plan to me. A lot of people make a test "garden" to try out detectors. Use a variety of targets at various depths and make a map of the layout. Use things that you won't mind leaving there for future use. Signals do change with time in the ground.

As for the presets, they should get you started and gradually you will learn to make changes to meet your needs.

Congratulations on the new machine and the new hobby and good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before heading out and detecting public and private land, learn to make a proper recovery using the trap door plug method. Leaving part of a sod plug attached with it's roots intact will help it recover without dying and will keep the grass looking good, so, we don't lose detecting areas due to damage. A good hand digger (such as a Lesche), a drop cloth for the excavated dirt, and a pouch for finds and trash are also a necessary part of your equipment. You've chosen a great machine. Yes, starting out I would keep it simple. In your yard, After you pair the headphones up, I'd start with Park 1, Noise cancel if necessary (doesn't hurt to do whether you have EMI or not) and keep the Sensitivity low enough to make it very stable. Dig every target for a while (at least 50 hours) so, you learn what the detector is telling you. Soon you will know what is a good target and what isn't. Then you can start tweaking it to get the optimum performance. If you want to recover iron targets too along with the non-ferrous stuff in your yard, press the horseshoe button and be prepared for LOTS of signals! Have fun!:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
J

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the great information. I will start small and practice well before heading out. Also I'll definitely practice my plug technique to make sure I'm leaving the area exactly how I found it. I purchased a shovel and hand digger from predator tools and a finds pouch from a member here JoeVal.

Is there anything else I might need, cudamark mentioned a drop cloth would this just be like a small towel

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best advice I can give you is to start out with factory set programs, PARK 1 to be exact.
Also, in your settings dial down the iron bias from the factory settings. Perhaps 1 or 2 at most.
And lastly, the most important thing- Press the "horse shoe" button and try your best getting used to hearing ALL the sounds. The low grunts are iron and will conceal good targets. The more you can learn to use this pseudo all metal mode and hear the high tones through it the better your chances are of unmasking finds everyone else has left behind. It is hard, it is noisy but with the 800 you CAN turn down the iron audio volume to be less than good signals are.

Be aware that the 38-40 signals on your ID are more than likely iron wraparound signals and not worth digging. Listen first, check your screen after. It's tough and at times it can be overwhelming to hear every single sound the Equinox relays to you, but in all that chaos you will find things other people have missed or been too lazy to dig.
Have patience, bury good targets and throw some garbage around them in places.
Best of luck.

I have to agree with Rob....perfect advice mate!

Matt

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anything else I might need, cudamark mentioned a drop cloth would this just be like a small towel

I use a dish towel. It is large enough cover and small enough to carry.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the great information. I will start small and practice well before heading out. Also I'll definitely practice my plug technique to make sure I'm leaving the area exactly how I found it. I purchased a shovel and hand digger from predator tools and a finds pouch from a member here JoeVal.

Sure, a towel will work. Personally, I use a big ZipLoc freezer bag. I find it easier and quicker to funnel the dirt back into the hole. I also wear gloves. Husky mechanics gloves for dry conditions, and either the Wells Lamont or Craftsman rubber palmed gloves for wet conditions. On the same subject, there are all kinds of gear to make life better and/or easier while detecting. Knee pads, floppy hat, bug spray, water bottle, sun screen, etc.......same stuff you'd use for gardening, hiking, camping, and other pursuits. If you are finding stuff that is valuable and/or fragile, you also might want to carry a padded hard case to keep those items from getting damaged or broken. Resist the urge to dry wipe silver and gold coins out in the field. Use a spray bottle if you need to inspect the coin, or find some water to gently rinse it. On copper, use a dry toothbrush brush until you can evaluate it to determine if washing would help. Sometimes the condition of copper/brass items can deteriorate if you wash them in water, so, if in doubt, don't do it without some expert advice. You'd hate to find a valuable coin, token, or button only to ruin it's value by improper cleaning.

OP
OP
J

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, a towel will work. Personally, I use a big ZipLoc freezer bag. I find it easier and quicker to funnel the dirt back into the hole. I also wear gloves. Husky mechanics gloves for dry conditions, and either the Wells Lamont or Craftsman rubber palmed gloves for wet conditions. On the same subject, there are all kinds of gear to make life better and/or easier while detecting. Knee pads, floppy hat, bug spray, water bottle, sun screen, etc.......same stuff you'd use for gardening, hiking, camping, and other pursuits. If you are finding stuff that is valuable and/or fragile, you also might want to carry a padded hard case to keep those items from getting damaged or broken. Resist the urge to dry wipe silver and gold coins out in the field. Use a spray bottle if you need to inspect the coin, or find some water to gently rinse it. On copper, use a dry toothbrush brush until you can evaluate it to determine if washing would help. Sometimes the condition of copper/brass items can deteriorate if you wash them in water, so, if in doubt, don't do it without some expert advice. You'd hate to find a valuable coin, token, or button only to ruin it's value by improper cleaning.
Thanks again for the great information above. I'll definitely remember this info and ask lots of questions if I'm unsure. This seems like a great forum with lots of willing people to help

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered mine from Big Boys Hobbies, delivery friday. This all great advice in this thread, cant wait to get out and give it a try. I found some sites in my area that I want to start out hunting, sent letters to owners for permission, hope I get approval.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread