New to this, some good cent finds.

whiteslate

Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone I'm 16 and I have been collection for 2 years now, but I'm new to coin roll hunting, I just turned 16 and am working at In-N-Out burger (yes I'm in SOCAL) but I'm only a week in so I'm still waiting for a paycheck. I have gone into my local bank of America (my bank) and asked for halfs which they never have, so today I decided to just try cents (pennies), got one box ($25 for those of you who don't do cents, I got,

4 pounds of copper cents
1951 d wheat
1944 wheat (not steel)
1956 d wheat
1953 d wheat
1953 wheat
1952 s wheat
1978 Canadian cent
all in the good to fair range

I think I did well, let me know

Upvote 0

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
whiteslate said:
Hey everyone I'm 16 and I have been collection for 2 years now, but I'm new to coin roll hunting, I just turned 16 and am working at In-N-Out burger (yes I'm in SOCAL) but I'm only a week in so I'm still waiting for a paycheck. I have gone into my local bank of America (my bank) and asked for halfs which they never have, so today I decided to just try cents (pennies), got one box ($25 for those of you who don't do cents, I got,

4 pounds of copper cents
1951 d wheat
1944 wheat (not steel)
1956 d wheat
1953 d wheat
1953 wheat
1952 s wheat
1978 Canadian cent
all in the good to fair range

I think I did well, let me know

In-N-out + Me = Be right back I'm hungry!

Nice cent finds. I just did a box myself and found a 1920! It's always fun to find a good wheat!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Your getting there! I remember my first wheat find being a 1932 D. You'll get some great finds. Maybe even a IHC.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Four pounds of pennies works out to about 500-550 pennies which would be over 20% copper, so I think you did pretty well. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone this young hoarding copper. What's your plan for it? Stockpile? Sell?

I love me some In-N-Out! If only they would move east.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
You search pennies just like me! Good finds, every other box I seem to be able to pick out a 20's or teens =) Keep Searching! (Congratulations on the job!)
HH
Wicka.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds, welcome to the forum!! i heard halves were hot in SOCAL, so go get em!!!
also, 1943 is the year they made steel cents(magnetic), also a silvery/gray color...
1942 and 1944 are just regular copper/alloy and do not stick to the magnet, good luck!
hh
buff

OP
OP
W

whiteslate

Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four pounds of pennies works out to about 500-550 pennies which would be over 20% copper, so I think you did pretty well. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone this young hoarding copper. What's your plan for it? Stockpile? Sell?

Well for now I'm thinking of just filling a box i have, it would hold about 100 pounds and then ill most likely sell on Craigslist, people get about $200 for 100 pounds around here but if I have to room I may just keep getting more. I figure I might as well start now because its fun and people who stockpile later in life never get to make lots of money because they die before the time its worth more than 500% of what it was. :tongue3:

albert

Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
how common are the 1920s? i have found 5 1920s recently in 100$ pennies

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio

I'm 16 and sell and hoard a little bit. I'm still curious to know what Whiteslate does with it.

Last edited:

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
For me I usually pull a few more wheats, but every wheat I have pulled out of $650+ searched was a common, and I gaurentee you will pull every one of those again. I'm 16 as well and hoard a little copper, but I sell most of mine on ebay for profit. Just keep searching, and you'll strike it huge! Before you know it, you'll find your first indian head! It took me about $300 and finally pulled my first one and then another one in the same box! I found a brockage error coin and I just found a 2000 Wide AM Error in MS64+ RD condition worth $40+ along with 2 other 2000's and a 1998. I recommend you look for errors. I find it fun and profitable! Oh, and welcome to the forum! You will learn A LOT if you read a lot of the posts on here! I know I have and these are truely the friendliest and most helpful people ever!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet finds, welcome to the forum!! i heard halves were hot in SOCAL, so go get em!!!
also, 1943 is the year they made steel cents(magnetic), also a silvery/gray color...
1942 and 1944 are just regular copper/alloy and do not stick to the magnet, good luck!
hh
buff

There is a 1944 steel cent error, but there are only a few that exist.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm 15 and hoard 96 pounds of copper... Age doesn't matter in this hobby unless it's opening a bank account but I have one already

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a 1920-S wheat penny the other day, i needed it for my collection... being an older "S" penny does not make it valueable, but it's a cool coin!
hh
buff

OP
OP
W

whiteslate

Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for all the help and for being super cool, i had done 100 dimes a year ago but skunking killed it for me, but after reading what you guys have to say on the forum i appreciate the hobby so much more and cant wait to get back into it :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread