Newbie Looking for Help Locating Worthwhile Collecting Sites Near Lambertville, NJ

kushmeja

Greenie
May 15, 2018
Lambertville, NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All!

I've primarily collected rocks and minerals for the bulk of my life, but I've gradually started dabbling more and more into fossils, and more recently artifacts as well. I've managed to find 2 smaller arrowheads/scrapers while hunting for fossils out in the creeks near Holmdel, NJ recently, and I've been looking for some worthwhile locations that I could collect that are a bit closer to me in Lambertville, NJ. I know that there have been many native settlements and camps nearby along the Delaware River, and I've done some sporadic casual searching along the Delaware River and creeks that feed into it around where I live, but I've had no luck finding anything at all as of yet.

I know that there's many locations along the river where artifacts have been found, and I was wondering if there are any local hunters that could help to point me in the right direction and/or give me some pointers as to how I can increase the likelihood of actually finding artifacts nearby.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Upvote 0

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things to look for: The intersection of two creeks or a creek and a river are good spots since rivers were highways. High spots that don’t flood. Sandy, well-drained ground. Old farms (the white people moved right onto the Indian cropland, at least here).

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard kushmeja! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello there, and welcome to the Forum !
My long time artifact hunting buddy lives close to Lambertville, NJ.
Unfortunately from what he tells me, there are very few good fields plowed around there anymore where he can still get permission to look for pre-historic artifacts, so now he usually travels away from the area to go looking. I will be seeing him within the coming week to go on a hunt, and will mention your request and see if he has any suggestions that can help get you onto some artifacts.

OP
OP
K

kushmeja

Greenie
May 15, 2018
Lambertville, NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there, and welcome to the Forum !
My long time artifact hunting buddy lives close to Lambertville, NJ.
Unfortunately from what he tells me, there are very few good fields plowed around there anymore where he can still get permission to look for pre-historic artifacts, so now he usually travels away from the area to go looking. I will be seeing him within the coming week to go on a hunt, and will mention your request and see if he has any suggestions that can help get you onto some artifacts.

Yeah, unfortunately from what I can gather from researching online, there were alot of very productive areas around my area, but the bulk of them have either been built over or are inaccessible. The old maps and research papers I've been able to find show tons of sites nearby, but I've had zero success so far. I've spent a fair amount of time walking along the Delaware River, particularly where creeks empty into the river, but I've not found a single artifact as of yet. I've had some minimal success out in the Holmdel/Freehold, NJ area while looking for fossils, but still have only found a small scraper and a small arrowhead after many trips out looking for fossils in the creeks out there.

If your friend has any pointers, I'd really appreciate it. And if he's looking for someone to hunt with, I'm out and about literally every weekend hunting for minerals, fossils and now artifacts, so I'm always looking to hunt!

Thanks,

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions