Newbie looking for input

montron

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone I'm new to prospecting and I wanted to ask what you thought of this area. IMG_0027.PNG IMG_0027.PNG IMG_0028.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
First off, is this near where gold has been found before? Where is this in general terms? Look like desert scrub brush to me. I don't see any orange colored dirt that would indicate iron but hard to tell looking at a pic at that height.

OP
OP
M

montron

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is found by the largest gold producing mine in all of la county, high desert. There is garnets here and the soil is red. IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0032.JPG
There is so much going on here don't really know what to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

montron

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing I'm looking for this IMG_0039.JPG or this IMG_0040.JPG .
Also what does it mean if I find dark blue metallic flakes in my pan?

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typed in the latitude/longitude on the bottom of your google map
looks like you're in a good area, you are the blue dot.
to me it looks like where you are is like an island of rock that is pushing into another section of the earths crust
and the mines are in that other section of crust that is getting crushed or pinched.
doesn't look like you are down hill from any mines, there is one prospect just over the hill from you,
might hike to the highest point and see whats up there. never know until you check it out...
LA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

montron

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typed in the latitude/longitude on the bottom of your google map
looks like you're in a good area, you are the blue dot.
to me it looks like where you are is like an island of rock that is pushing into another section of the earths crust
and the mines are in that other section of crust that is getting crushed or pinched.
doesn't look like you are down hill from any mines, there is one prospect just over the hill from you,
might hike to the highest point and see whats up there. never know until you check it out...
View attachment 1500018

Thank you, I've yet to meet someone that has been able to so eloquently describe Acton. They named the main streets Crown Valley because how the mountains surround the valley. I never even thought that it could be described as an island, in the middle of the desert.I really have enjoyed learning about the history of Acton. I've yet to find any gold yet I feel like learning about the history is the true treasure. The gold rush started here and was considered to be the capital of California. I guess there problems are mine, there's no water. Thank you for the inspiring words and outlook.

OP
OP
M

montron

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0142.JPG
Ants helped me find these on top.

IMG_0116.JPG
And I collected these on the way down