NICE BANK FIND

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped by my Wells Fargo branch yesterday to see if they had any CWRs that I could buy. The teller told me the drive-up teller had some $2 bills that were in order. They know I like $2 bills. Turns out it was an uncut sheet of 4 someone had brought to the bank. They had been folded up but not cut so of course I took them with the rolled coins. Just wondering what value they might have. Someone in the roll hunting thread suggested I post them here to get more info on their value, etc. DSC08209.JPG I do on occasion buy bundles of $2 bills from the bank to search for sequential numbers or older red label bills so I was happy to get this little sheet. Thanks for any input.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would help to tell what year they are. H is the St. Louis Federal Reserve.
Uncut sheets and partials, especially with stars bring a premiun. The folds will obviously decrease the value somewhat, but, Nice Find!

Here's a site that gives production numbers...

USPaperMoney.Info: Serial Number Ranges

Best Wishes,
Scott

Edit: I'm assuming that they are 1976 because no other "newer" $2 bils have been printed with the "H" Federal Reserve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they are 1976. I think the person folded them to put them in the pneumatic tube to shoot them into the bank. Unfortunate, but nothing I could do about it. I just appreciated that they told me they had them when I was in there knowing I'd probably want them.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also sometimes ask for $2 bundles and one day, my favorite teller sold me these!

IM002572.JPG

1963. Sequential. Crisp. New ink smell!
Krispy Kreme for All!

Best Wishes,
Scott​

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
My mommy told me $2 bills were bad luck. I sort of never believed that, especially after seeing yours. Nice...

OP
OP
K

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the tellers at my branch are real nice to me, even to the point of not hassling me over the boxes of half dollars I get. But I try not to return them all to their branch so they don't get loaded down and I only order about once a month, although the vault teller seems more than happy to order whatever I want, including trying to get a new wrapped bundle of $2 bills. I think the most I have ordered is $400 and they were all used but I did find a red seal in one pack and do find a few pretty crisp sequential numbers in each pack...usually. I just might order $1000 in a few weeks, have her ask for new and see what happens. I really love the little uncut sheet, even if they numbers aren't sequential. Haven't figured out why that is except maybe it might have been cut out of a larger sheet possibly? I have seen a few in auctions here in NC that I go to but they went for too much.

Scott, if you are a Krispy Kreme guy you must live NC, home of the KK. But what's more unusual is a few years ago on one of my trips to Thailand they were selling them from a little table at night amongst all the street vendors in Siam Square. The next day when we went down into the food court in Paragon mall, there it was....a new Krispy Kreme with two long lines of people buying them 3, 4,5, 6 dozen at a time. They had racks parked along side just loaded with boxed dozens and they were bringing more from the back of the food court somewhere along with making them right there. I think on our next trip I'll check it out and see how busy they are now. Tried one...just like home...and got a t-shirt with the Thai Krispy Kreme theme.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not NC but close....Georgia.
And yes, yours were cut from the standard 32 subject sheet, 4 across, 8 top to bottom. Each sheet has 32 different serial numbers. The next sheet printed would have one added to each of the previous numbers so that when the run was complete and normal cutting occured, there would be 32 seperate stacks of sequentially numbered notes.
I hope I didn't confuse you too much. (I used to be a commercial press operator, so that makes it easier for me to grasp.)

Best Wishes,
Scott

OP
OP
K

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close enough (Georgia). Thanks for the info. I kind of figured it was from a larger sheet and I was cruising the BEP site today just looking at what they have and saw the 4 bill sheets. But either way, it seems with the H designation it's a real nice find and I will just hang onto it and keep my eyes open for more $2 bills at auctions I go to.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend,
From all indications of my interest in this thread, and internet searching, it has been revealed to me that a scarcity of the St. Louis printing could be worth a fair return on face value.
Perhaps you have a valuable piece of American currency. My suggestion would be to hold out until you know the true value before (if you want to sell) you conduct a transaction.

Best,
Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So these are St. Louis notes? I tried to find out from the paper money link you posted earlier but I couldn't figure out much. Probably cause I don't have the time right now to study it in depth and understand all that stuff. But other than Ebay, where could I find out what they might be worth?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread