Nice chunk of Opal from Oregon.

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I would share pics of this nice piece. Another one of grandpa’s treasures. I’m interested in selling this one, but not sure where to start. Jeweler? Local Clubs? Thanks for any advice on value and/or how best to approach getting it valued fairly. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586899306.480193.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586899326.086760.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586899351.008540.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586899366.447444.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586899383.625554.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586899406.899004.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
As a specimen, it looks ok. Nothing spectacular. If from Oregon, I suspect one of only four or five locales. As rough for cabochons, it has some problems. The major cracks make it a challenge to cut, reducing the value to any cutter or lapidary. I am not qualified to make a value estimate, but I have made custom cabochons from similar material, several years ago, before the arthritis took over the fingers.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting find your grandpa made. Do you know where it was found? Maybe hold onto it for sentimental reasons unless you are inundated with treasures...thanks for sharing. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an interesting find your grandpa made. Do you know where it was found? Maybe hold onto it for sentimental reasons unless you are inundated with treasures...thanks for sharing. :)

Hello! It is a large collection, and I'm cherry-picking my sentimental favorites as I go. There are way too many things for me to keep. He passed away in 2001 and his trove became my mom's (she had a sizeable trove herself). She was also a rock hound and lover of minerals, gems, and crystals - among other things. She passed away in 2014 and a lot of stuff ended up boxed up, or remains strewn about my dad's property. So I've inherited things gradually, and only recently came to a phase of life when I have the time and bandwidth to jump in with both feet. Unfortunately, my newfound curiosity has corresponded with the COVID-19 stuff, so I have not yet visited any local clubs - but that is my intention!

Would love to get set up to cut & polish some day, but that is a ways off. So for now, there is a fair bit that I am willing to part with.

Tremendously grateful for the wonderful folks here - moderators and contributors alike - for the patience and expertise you all share so generously. As I am sure you all know, not all forums have the welcoming and positive nature that this one does. I've connected with folks here in my local area, and I look forward to learning more "in the field" when things return to something like normal.

So a big THANKS - and if there are any treasure hunters from Oregon or SW Washington, I would love to connect. I have some great stuff for someone with the tools to cut and polish, and I'd also be interested in tagging along on field trips to learn my local area better!

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thunder eggs are the State Rock for Oregon.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread