mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. Long time no post. Anyway, i was going through some customer wrapped rolls of cents yesterday on my dinner break. Saw a thick white coin near the end of a roll and pulled this. My oldest coin to date out of a roll and from the same branch that gave me a civil war token a couple of years back. Looks like someone might have in the process of turning it into something, possibly a love token as the reverse is completely smooth. Thanks for reading, MM2

Attachments

• DSCN5163.JPG
    DSCN5163.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN5164.JPG
    DSCN5164.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, super find, I’d usually say “cool find, too bad about condition” but this is such a great story behind it, and front is great condition! Congrats!

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, super find, I’d usually say “cool find, too bad about condition” but this is such a great story behind it, and front is great condition! Congrats!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
MM, When I saw your thread title, right away I thought about the CW Token. I was like "no way, did he find another." Still a cool find, and it looks like someone gave you a blank canvass to finish the love token. Find a jeweler with skilled engraving and create your own custom love token.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea DD, I might do that.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Gorgeous coin, regardless of the condition. Love to just think of the series of events that had to occur for these old ones to find their ways into the collection. Who had them, where they've been, spent on what, lost how many times, found, and in your case, ground down... Favorite part of this hobby is finding the old ones! IMO, thats almost better than a token, older then them and made it through!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 160 years, I think this is the oldest coin I've seen reported here from a coin roll. Nice find and Congrats!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
With a skilled engraving, it will have more meaning to you and value to love token collectors.

Not sure I agree with that statement. Most serious love token collectors, myself included, make a determined effort to stay away from recently engraved pieces, regardless of the host coin. They certainly don’t command the same prices as love token that were engraved in the same time period as the coin.

That said, if you want to have it engraved there’s nothing wrong with it, just be aware that it’s extremely unlikely you would be able to sell it for enough to cover the cost of engraving.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
My thought was that this would be a perfect coin to put in an album, with only the front showing.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not sure I agree with that statement. Most serious love token collectors, myself included, make a determined effort to stay away from recently engraved pieces, regardless of the host coin. They certainly don’t command the same prices as love token that were engraved in the same time period as the coin.

That said, if you want to have it engraved there’s nothing wrong with it, just be aware that it’s extremely unlikely you would be able to sell it for enough to cover the cost of engraving.

I agree with the general sentiment that a period engraving is worth more than a modern work of art, but it would still be worth more than it's present condition. Also, everything new can be made to look old - Liver of Sulfur. I had a Confederate veteran's reunion medal with the clasp that was broken. I had the clasp soldered onto the back, but the solder was new and a giveaway for the repair. Liver of Sulfur took care of that.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a rare coin to find crh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread