Nice Gift!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
A friend called yesterday said he had something for me for my collection.
The first thing was this nice round Quartz piece with very sharp edges all the way around,
image.jpg
Then he brought out this wooly mammoth tooth. His drag line brought it up many years ago.
image.jpg
I need to keep it in water Though for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very sweet. Gomers glue solution should help preserve it. but do some research on the best way.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Very sweet. Gomers glue solution should help preserve it. but do some research on the best way.

Read up on it a bit already Chase, not a very good way, but probably the only way since I can't let this dry out to apply better things.

The same guy gave me some tusk too years ago. He had it in an aquarium and let his kid take it to show and tell. it was kinda heavy so the brilliant teacher even though told not to, took the water off and it ended up dry. He gave me some chunks of the tusk as it was coming apart in layers. It's Pretty neat stuff.

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a shame quito, leave it to a teacher to do something stupid. Keeping the air off of it is very key. It is in very good hands with you being the curator.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fine gift:thumbsup:I have used a number of things on bone and teeth. What works for me is to soak it in denatured alcohol a few days and then add paste wax to the alcohol or any type of wax and let it soak for a few days. After that then use the glue solution to just paint it on. The alcohol removes the water out of the item and the wax mixed in with it will go deep in to the item and then seal it with the glue mix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread