Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t been out to the scout camp for a while so yesterday I made the drive. The weather was nice and I was the only person in camp except for the rangers. I went to a site I had done part of about 4 years ago hoping to pick up some new losses and things I missed in the first trip. It is a wooded area with movable wooden platforms for the tents and a latrine. In 5.5 hours I managed to find 86 coins with a face value of $6.48, 3 cob copies they sell in the trading post as pirate loot when the pirate theme is used, and 2 NO CASH VALUE tokens also used as loot.

8E498A3D-F9A6-4217-B7DB-A77C943E297C.jpeg

Also 8 aluminum rope tensioners, a generic Cub Scout slide (pre 2005), and 3 Webelos slides.

7325E59E-194C-4F3A-930C-8E13021101FD.jpeg

A Zippo lighter, a Pennsylvania Rail road pin, a Bear rank pin, a pack clevice pin, 1 lonely little pop tab, a brass nut from a lantern, 3 pin backs, and a collection of fishing sinkers all added to the variety of finds.

1F78D518-3EFC-45A9-A2E1-421A1DA80969.jpeg

Of course it wouldn’t be a trip to Camp without a pile of tent pegs for the camp to reuse next year. Yesterday’s count was 104 pegs which brings my total pegs returned to camp since 2014 to over 8,000. The picture shows a pile of light personal tent pegs on the left and the pile of hawavy pegs the Camp uses on the right. I only count the heavy Camp pegs, the light ones are not part of the count.

24BE08AC-9713-4ED9-99A6-046F8BA1CC74.jpeg

Some pegs are right under the leaves and easy to retrieve, others are buried under years of dirt laying flat and some are still driven into the ground and have to be pulled out. I use a small pick with a point on one end and a claw on the other. The nail style pins get the claw and the L type get the point. Some times the pegs have been in the ground so long they have a heavy layer of rust that makes them hard to pull. When that happens I can drive them down about a half inch with the point and then pull them. Yesterday the ground was soft and I could pull them without driving them down first. The picture illustrates how the pegs get hard to pull when the rust is thick.

5706E699-2D5A-42E5-A752-8FA277DD0052.jpg

Along with the pictures finds there are always bits of foil, melted aluminum for the fire pits scattered about, cot springs and other assorted trash items that go home with me. The Camp has given up a lot of coins and a ton of other stuff. That’s why I keep coming back, you never know what the next signal will bring.

I had a busy day with some fun digging and a good deed for the camp. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 8

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That's a lot of digging for no PM. Better luck next time out!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That clad adds up!!! I have found soooo many of the slides and knives near a camp near me. Well done!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread