Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Old Dude! I'd been waiting to say that for a long, long time! LOL

A day like this one doesn't come around very often to allow for that subject line. :)

Today was really a fun day and instructional too!
Since it had been raining off and on for about a week now, I planned
on going for a walk with a plan. I figured to try a place that I've been to many, many
times but couldn't get much depth because of how dry the ground stays! I figured this
rain just HAD to help! I was right! It was plugging like a hot knife thru butter. LOL

Still, though, for some reason, (maybe all the previous trips ;) LOL ), I just wasn't
getting any half way decent signals. So, here comes the educational part.

I was shuffling along, talking with the Lord as I always do and happened to ask him
if he might show me what I'm doing wrong. And I know this sounds like just one more
WIF story, but I no sooner said that then the first hit came along. It was a Buffalo Nickel!

I haven't found a buffalo in quite some time! I knew they were there, just couldn't get over
them nor recognize them when I did.

I thanked him for the nice coin but told him I didn't understand. What did HE just show me?
Two steps more and Bam! Another one! Take a look at the end of this special and small walk:

2015 (790).jpg
2015 (791).jpg
2015 (792).jpg
2015 (793).jpg
2015 (794).jpg

None of the tribe were in much shape, this was the best one.
But, I have not found FOUR Buffs in one walk in a VERY long time!!

2015 (795).jpg
2015 (796).jpg

Blingie's new shiny-shiny is an old style ring but
it's just a heavy gold plate. It does have a jeweler's mark though.

2015 (789).jpg

Hopefully, some jeweler out there will recognize it as a famous maker. ;)

Now, my trouble is, even though I started finding all those nickles!

A Tri-Fecta! even! Plus FOUR buffs in one trip!

I'm still uncertain as to just what HE was teaching me! :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
I just hope the lessons continue! LOL

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 17

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another well written WIF post, great job on the buffs and the OD!, happy new year gary!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to like those results, nice hunt!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that thread title. Congratulations on the OD

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't ever managed that many buffs in one hunt. I get excited when the detector keeps saying " Nickle, Nickle, Nickle " when I swing the coil back and forth over the target.:coffee2:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice digs!!! love the nickels!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't ever managed that many buffs in one hunt. I get excited when the detector keeps saying " Nickle, Nickle, Nickle " when I swing the coil back and forth over the target.:coffee2:

Ya know....once I had the tri-fecta I was looking hard to pull off that 5-fecta! BOY! Wouldn't THAT have been fun! LOL

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Praise the Lord and pass the ammo, dang Whadi you sure have been pulling some sweet finds this past month. Seems like you r new hunting style and the help of your copilot is paying off. Buffalos pop up one at a time here and never in 4 man squads.

Nice trifecta too!

By the waym great play on words in the subject line. :occasion14:

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So poor........can't find a nickle. Good detecting.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO ,, PRO-ZERO
51-52,, should be a nickel, , although I did get an 18kt gold ring on a 51. Very nicely done, , Congrats

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My duct-taped and bailing-wired ATPro says, "Maybe a nickle, maybe a nickle, dig it up, sucker, and see what you got! Do you feel lucky, punk? Well do ya?" I dig it anyway due to my ADD, ADHD, OCD, ODD, delusions of grandeur, and constant need for validation.... On another note, Whadi, that was a great hunt and we rejoice with you! Sub 8-)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that was a "thanks for asking" , so he gave you a herd of buffalo, And then some!

Nice job! Congrats! And again everyone is happy!

I think a 911 call would have to be made if I found even one.

You certainly know how to have grand walks! :)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO ,, PRO-ZERO
51-52,, should be a nickel, , although I did get an 18kt gold ring on a 51. Very nicely done, , Congrats

My duct-taped and bailing-wired ATPro says, "Maybe a nickle, maybe a nickle, dig it up, sucker, and see what you got!...

What I found, (all puns intentional ;) ), is that with the AT-Pro, 51-52 constant is usually a nickle I call the hit a "Nickle/tab/ring" hit though. If I use my volume check test between normal and pinpoint though it almost ALWAYS differentiates between a nickle or a tab. Those who use the ATP, try it, you'll like it! :)

Thanks guys!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I found, (all puns intentional ;) ), is that with the AT-Pro, 51-52 constant is usually a nickle I call the hit a "Nickle/tab/ring" hit though. If I use my volume check test between normal and pinpoint though it almost ALWAYS differentiates between a nickle or a tab. Those who use the ATP, try it, you'll like it! :)

Thanks guys!

True Science, Whadi, But have you noted that the brand new nickles with Jefferson's large profile sometimes hit up in the 54-55 range?, This is also the bane of our hobby,...the ghetto, the wasteland, the scourged domain of that hideous nuisance known as the "pull tab?" (Dang it...why do small gold rings have to be there too?) Sub 8-)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Science, Whadi, But have you noted that the brand new nickles with Jefferson's large profile sometimes hit up in the 54-55 range?, This is also the bane of our hobby,...the ghetto, the wasteland, the scourged domain of that hideous nuisance known as the "pull tab?" (Dang it...why do small gold rings have to be there too?) Sub 8-)

Yep, I sure have and that silver nickles might give a 60, with an iron audio twinge depending on depth.

I used 51-52 because that's what was given. It isn't gospel but it does hold pretty much true. The thing is, this volume check I do will give a pretty high percentage on whether it's a thin piece like a tab or something thicker like a nickle/ring etc.

As always, use what you want and just throw the rest away. :)

Last edited:

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey WIF,can you explain the volume control test with a little more detail....Thanks Barry

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey WIF,can you explain the volume control test with a little more detail....Thanks Barry
Sure, Barry. It's really a simple thing. All I do is check the target normally, loosely pinpoint it, then, I check the difference in volume
the detector produces between the pinpoint mode and the normal swing.

I get a target that is repeatable and pretty consistently a "nickle" hit. On the ATP that's usually around 51-52.
I take note of the height I'm swinging and the sound level I'm hearing. Then, I move the loop off the side of the target and press the pinpoint. When I move the loop over the target at the same height I note the loudness of the signal. If the pinpoint sound tends to go up over the regular sweep level. It almost always is a thicker piece of metal.

Of course, nothing is fool proof. The best thing to do, is to dig it either way. At least to until you begin to see whether it's working for you. I usually call my shot, so to speak, then dig to see if I'm right. On days when I'm limited in time or patience, I will skip the ones that sound about the same. But, I always promise myself to come back one day and dig those too. :)

Hope that helps. Anyone trying this, let us know how it works for you.

One other thing is that, ( at least with the ATP), sometimes there is a double sort of hit. On tabs that are on top.
Almost like a click and then hit. Usually repeatable. Just another hint.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx WIF...good to know....will be using that

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FISHY THINKIN WHEEL OF FORTUNE' BUT WHY WONT IT SPIN ? , BLINGIE I WONDER WHO OWNS THIS JEWEL ... NICE FINDS ....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread