Nickel Hunt (Poof, specimen, old, error) PIC

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
So I decided to buy some nickels to find bullion and take a break from penny boxes.
I bought 130$ worth and here is what I came up with:
1996 Specimen (my second in CRH career)
1972 proof
1952, 1941 KGVI
1958, 1958US, 1960, 1962, 2000P, 1991
2010 struck though grease? Can someone identify it if I'm wrong? Is it valuable?
??? bullion nickels (will update)

Enjoy the pic and happy hunt everybody.

Attachments

• Nickel-hunt.jpg
    Nickel-hunt.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonderful search, told you that nickels can be good too!!! Did you get many Americans?

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of 65 rolls, there were about 30 US nickels, three of them being pre 1960

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like it is partly grease-filled die on that area of the coin.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a good idea. Now the percentage of bullion nickel decreased to about 7%, so I expect it to drop to 5% by the end of 2012. They are disappearing quicker than one can think. Their population decreases much faster than population of US copper pennies. In Canada, they are not just hoarded, but are taken out by the mint facilities such as Garda.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Yes I notice the premiums of them seem to be going up on ebay. I buy about 10 pounds a month of them as long as they aren't outrageous. Some ebay sellers have them as much as $25 a pound when the spot for nickel is around $8.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
It really does. The thing is with Canadian coins, they look very refreshing. New designs, although some of them aren't quite good, lets put it this way. However there are always new ideas the folks at the Mint come around. Fancy colourized quarters, commemorative nickels, 12 sided, chrome plated, CU-Ni, non nickel, pure nickel nickels. Silver halves, silver dollars, new designed toonies and loonies. At some point I question myself, should I just keep all the coins I find, because it makes me feel that they are all collectible!

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds CH. Once the pennies disappear this fall, I am going to go pretty hard on the nickels. I suspect you will do the same also? :thumbsup:

The Mint does do some good work. Now if only they would make some REAL money and not this steel junk they are passing off as money. :laughing7:

Good luck in your future hunting!

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
They won't likely. I won't do nickels that hard for bullion, but maybe for 12 sided ones plus everything before War plus US stuff.
Good luck for penny hunting, remember we two are not the only ones on Ontario, who hunt those rolls.

CanadaCoinHunting

May 14, 2012
Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
They won't likely. I won't do nickels that hard for bullion, but maybe for 12 sided ones plus everything before War plus US stuff.
Good luck for penny hunting, remember we two are not the only ones on Ontario, who hunt those rolls.

Yes, very good point. It would be interesting to know how many Ontarians are hunting through nickels. At least we will have the nickels around for beyond the fall.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I don't know, because I'm in Canada and you are in US. You may find Buffalo and War nickels along with some Canadian coins (2-4 per box). They will be likely from 1983-2000 decade, because Ni and Fe nickels are caught by wrapping machine magnets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread