Nitric acid + salt leach process info?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know it's around here somewhere. I seen it before....... Or was that on the old 49'er mike site?
I'm looking to study up on leaching sulfide ores. I'm curious about the nitrio-saline method and any others that people care to share with me.

I found a pretty rich sulfide vein this winter. It yielded 8 colors from roasting only 4 grams of panned sulfide material and my method was pretty sloppy. Gonna have to go fill some buckets and see what I get.

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well I know it's around here somewhere. I seen it before....... Or was that on the old 49'er mike site?
I'm looking to study up on leaching sulfide ores. I'm curious about the nitrio-saline method and any others that people care to share with me.

I found a pretty rich sulfide vein this winter. It yielded 8 colors from roasting only 4 grams of panned sulfide material and my method was pretty sloppy. Gonna have to go fill some buckets and see what I get.

I have used the salt leach and it worked very well. I tested it on some tiny pure gold pieces and you could readily see the gold dissolving away. However nitric acid is expensive and it was not cost effective for me. Sulfide ores will eat up acid quite a bit. Also, buying and shipping the stuff is something you need to look into.

George

Last edited:

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also, when I was doing electronic scrap refining, the cost of disposing the spent acid was a killer for me. But that may be an altogether different ballgame.
I have used the salt leach and it worked very well. I tested it on some tiny pure gold pieces and you could readily see the gold dissolving away. However nitric acid is expensive and it was not cost effective for me. Sulfide ores will eat up acid quite a bit. Also, buying and shipping the stuff is something you need to look into.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread