Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No dates buffalo's

I have found over 20 no dates buffs over the last couple of years. I have heard that there is some how you can bring the dates back up so you can read them. Can someone tell me what I need to do to bring up the dates so I can read what I have. I would really appreicate the help......Matt

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A product called Nic-a-date.

It won't work on dug nickels for some reason.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found over 20 no dates buffs over the last couple of years. I have heard that there is some how you can bring the dates back up so you can read them. Can someone tell me what I need to do to bring up the dates so I can read what I have. I would really appreicate the help......Matt

A product called Nic-a-date.

It won't work on dug nickels for some reason.

I just bought some Nic-a-date and used it on a couple of CRH nickels yesterday. Put a drop on, and I could see the date in about a minute.

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all of these is from CRHing and where can I get it Thanks

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it from Amazon; a bit under $10 including shipping. If you google it, there are a few other sites selling it as well.

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thanks all for the info

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak it in a tub of white distilled cinegar for about a week.A lot cheaper then nic-a-date.

Vinegar is indeed cheaper, but it "dulls" the entire coin whereas Nic-a-date just dulls the tiny spot over the date where it is applied.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a chemical for etching sold at radio shack. Three times as much in a bottle and had the price. Just Google restore Buffalo nickel etching radio shack. Should link to site.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey mlayers, glad to see you posting again! Nic-a-date works like a charm, it will damage the coin perminately, but the dateless buffalo nickel is worth nothing more than face value anyway... give it a shot!
hh
buff

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey mlayers, glad to see you posting again! Nic-a-date works like a charm, it will damage the coin perminately, but the dateless buffalo nickel is worth nothing more than face value anyway... give it a shot!
hh
buff

I disagree that a dateless buffalo is only worth 5 cents.. but I will agree that it won't devalue the coin to use nic-a-date on it.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really isn't a market for non-dated buffalo nickels, obviously I (and many others) would buy buffalo nickels for without a date for a small percentage over face value(add a few cents), everybody is entitled to their opinion. :)
I disagree that a dateless buffalo is only worth 5 cents.. but I will agree that it won't devalue the coin to use nic-a-date on it.

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies. I will check out this Nic-a-date. Thanks Buffaloboy yea I know its been a long time but after being rob of out coins collection and game systems I been trying to help my 9 yr old get some of her coins back up. That's what we are doing with the buff's she gets to keep them for herself and we wanted to see what all we have found. We been going thu 4 boxes of neckels a week and 2 boxes of cents a week. We normally find 1 buff and a dz wheat cent in a week. so not to bad.
It sure will be nice when this weather break and we can get out and do some detecting. Maybe we can get some nice finds. Being coupe up all winter sure is boring so we have to do something with out time. Once again thanks all for the infor and I will let you guys know what we come up with.....matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread