NON-BANK sources of coinage. Liquor stores, smoke shops, party stores, etc.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER heard a convenience store called a "party store". I was totally picturing going into my local Party City or something of that sort that literally specializes in party decorations, ect, & asking for coins.

It's regional. None exist here in MN (I am assuming due to law), but in MI, a party store was like a convenience store with a better supply of alcohol. Lottery, basic groceries, snacks, booze, etc.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER heard a convenience store called a "party store". I was totally picturing going into my local Party City or something of that sort that literally specializes in party decorations, ect, & asking for coins.

I guess it depends on the party...:)

igneous

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2007
How?

If I find a liquor store that has hundreds of dollars of change to sell, how would we handle the counting without being there an hour? ig.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
igneous said:
If I find a liquor store that has hundreds of dollars of change to sell, how would we handle the counting without being there an hour? ig.

With the liquor stores it is more about quality than quantity.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Quality, as in getting older coins like silver dimes, quarters, halves, dollars, or old dollar bills. In other stores, you may be able to pickup many rolls, but harder to get the good stuff directly.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a movie theather and when I was paying I noticed half dollars in the tray turned out to be 5 40%

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
The key to CRHing is volume and it is very hard to get much volume from a non-bank

In my area bank branches in supermarkets trend to be open later (7-8pm) and some smaller banks try to distingish themselves by being open later (as late as 8 pm) or being open 7 days a week.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my real question. ig.

All of the party stores/liqour stores I have been to usually have less than $10 in halves so it is not generally an issue. When they do have more they spill them out on the counter and I take what I want. It is what you make of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread