Noobie in SoCal (sortof)

Kodak_F15

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I probably should have done this back 5yrs ago when I joined just to ask a question about mica that I got overly excited about! :dontknow:

Well, I'm now fully established in San Bernardino, CA now & in the last 5 yrs have only been able to make it out 2 times! I'm hoping to change that & am "joining" back up on here to hopefully learn as much as I can & get pointed in the right direction!

Of the 2 times that I went out, I figured the further from civilization I went the better, so I hiked into so pretty rough terrain, worked my tail off, & only got a small flake the 2nd time. A descent size picker the 1st outing , started the gold fever... I don't / didn't want to be a lousy claim jumper, so I familiarized myself with LR2000, but now looks like the mylandmatters.org site is the way to go?

Now, after those 2 trips & getting a feel for how hard this new hobby is going to be, I am hoping for some sage advice. I'm prior military & I've never forgotten the lesson "go find the most experienced guy in the room, sit down, shut up & listen to every word he's got to say..."

So, if anyone has some guidance, I would greatly appreciate it!

I am on the southern end of California, & can go panning up in the Holcomb Creek area or Deep Creek near Big Bear, pretty claimed up though... I've also thought about getting a nice drywasher (thinking a Keene 151???) & going out in the desert near Randsburg. I'm even open to paying for a claim ($2500 or less) either local, or up in the Mother Lode area in NorCal if need be.

I've got a frau & two youngins that are getting close to old enough to throw a shovel around or tend to a sluice, so I would look at the claim investment as a designated family camping area that just happens to also be "prospectable".

I very much would like to join a local type of club, to learn from the more experienced folks first hand. I'll join GPAA, if suggested, but think a smaller club would be a better fit (& presume less worked over club claims???)

Also, definitely open to paying for a "guide" or a class/outing to teach me, as I really realize I don't have a clue what I'm doing! :laughing7:

So, with that long, 5yrs late introduction, any advice or guidance?

Thanks in advance!

-Kodak

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
K

Kodak_F15

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks RustyGold, I'm looking forward to it. Wealth of info on here, & it seems like a friendly group, especially as far as online forums are concerned!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
PM member Terry Solomon. He has some real experience in gold prospecting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome from Salinas, CA. I'm not a nugget hunter/prospector, so I can't comment on that part of your post. I'm strictly a coin/relic guy. I got some reales, seateds, and 2 gold coins not far from you in year's past :) So I know they're there.

Oh, and in case you didn't get informed of the rules: Fellow CA hunters must send me 30% of all their finds. I accept paypal. Now get busy ! :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome back to the forum from Massachusetts!

OP
OP
K

Kodak_F15

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the replies & welcomes everyone!

I've found out that the Valley Prospectors are based right near me & have very reasonable dues & quite a few claims, so I plan on joining them as soon as I get back to the states.

Thank you guys for the additional links, I've been feverishly searching through everything & trying to sponge up as much info as I can!

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread