Jul 12, 2006
Northwest, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out earlier today to specifically look for Indian Trail Trees. I am hoping to document as many as I can find in my area. I decided to drive a little way up Cohutta Mountain where I have a friend who owns land, and search that area. To my surprise as soon as I parked on the side of the road I saw a tree that looked very promising. I took a photo of it, documented it on the GPS, and then proceeded to follow where it pointed. Then, no more than 100 yards from the tree, I came across an old mine shaft. I thought I would share my photos with you and see what everyone thinks.

IMG_20131113_103519_761.jpg IMG_20131113_104709_892.jpg IMG_20131113_104731_822.jpg

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool stuff. wait til the dead of winter until you expore inside. I would nick name that spot " the snake den " lol On second thought ..The Bears Den !!!! :laughing7: I bet if you put a game camera on that hole earlier in the year you would see Big Momma coming and going !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hestercd

Hestercd

Greenie
Jul 12, 2006
Northwest, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to agree about big mama. That ain't a mine !

Tough to tell by the pics, but I'm pretty positive it's a mine due to the tailings that are surrounding it. However, it's been around for a while and is definitely large enough for any size animal around these parts to fit in it, so when it comes to big mama, I don't wanna be running into her anytime! HAHA I will do a little more research on the area however and keep you guys updated on what all is happening there when I find out!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know you are wall to wall bears down there where you live. Right ? I tangled with one at a road side park on top of Fort Mountain one foggy Tuesday morning in 1992. it stood up on me and we looked each other in the eye. Actually I need you to stand on top of a chair to act being the bear considering she/he was two to three feet taller than me ! Sure had some bad breath I tell you ! LOL

OP
OP
Hestercd

Hestercd

Greenie
Jul 12, 2006
Northwest, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know you are wall to wall bears down there where you live. Right ? I tangled with one at a road side park on top of Fort Mountain one foggy Tuesday morning in 1992. it stood up on me and we looked each other in the eye. Actually I need you to stand on top of a chair to act being the bear considering she/he was two to three feet taller than me ! Sure had some bad breath I tell you ! LOL

Oh yeah! Last year we had 3 bears come down from the mountain and we caught them in my yard. My Husky had scared all three of them up a tree and we were able to get animal control to come out and take care of them, but it was touch and go there for the first part of that night. If my Husky hadn't started going crazy on them (luckily she was in a well built fenced in area) then they would have been completely free in the city within minutes!

Nov 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be VERY careful around these mines. Back in the day, these minors had no experience. They were had hazard and did not erect many arch supports. If you find yourself walking on debris,
LOOK OUT !! You might fall 20 feet down. In the summer, these tunnels are full of Rattle Snakes and some Copper heads.

OP
OP
Hestercd

Hestercd

Greenie
Jul 12, 2006
Northwest, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so everybody can feel a little better, I do not have any plans on going into the mine itself at this point. I believe, in fact, that it's possible it has been found before, just never mentioned. Maybe they never made it out?!? :dontknow: I would like to get some kind of mobile camera device inside however to see how deep the shaft goes, and what the surroundings are. But as for me and my hard hat, without getting a pro crew out to help with exploration, there is no way I would ever go in alone. I'm just doing my research atm trying to document my findings and then follow up on my best leads!

Thanks for the support guys I really appreciate it! Keep it coming my way as I'm always interested in hearing from you all!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an idea. Take a shovel to the dirt tailings that would have come out of the hole, take it home and take a good hand lens or microscope to it. You can see traces of minerals in the tailings, then you will have an instant go- no go decision. Also check for mining in the past in your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread