Not-So-Exciting Personal Bucket Lister & 2 Wheaties

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm finding in my 48 hunts so far, that old stuff gets swallowed up by the soft Florida soil-sand, so finding older coins seems to be a somewhat difficult task, even in the old areas of town. Even in my metal detecting club, the coins on display each month aren't very old, and the silver seems scarce. So with that in mind, and having only found one silver ('42 Merc), my bucket list is at this point made up of pulling a silver of each denomination.

Last night I hit a park that has about 10" +/- of very hard-packed fill dirt on top of the soil-sand. On March 16, I pulled a 1939 Canadian silver dollar from here, so I decided to grid out the field and work it. Got a bunch of clad, but the best was one of the aforementioned bucket-listers; a 1959D Quarter! :headbang: I know for many/most this is a common find, but for me, I'm pretty happy. I also found 2 wheaties (1946, 1956D), which are only numbers 8 & 9 for me.

Like I said, nothing super exciting, but I'm happy! Now if I could only figure out where that fill dirt came from....

As found, and I may or may not clean them;
IMG_0252 (Small).JPGIMG_0253 (Small).JPGIMG_0250 (Small).JPGIMG_0251 (Small).JPG

Upvote 10
Good stuff, your 27 cents richer and had the pleasure of digging them up! Any coin is a good coin in by book.

No, it is not a commom find for most, if it were I would have one! The Washington silver quarter is on my personal bucket list also! Congratulations on the digs! (Now I'm going to go cry in my pillow.)

the guys that find so much of the older stuff are very fortunate, some do their homework very well and some are really good at getting permissions. where I live, the previous detectors have hit most of the properties pretty hard so I too get excited on wheaties and the occasional silver. I do the usual cherry picking but then go back in slow mode and dig both the iffy signals as well as those pesky pull tabs/rings. don't be discouraged on the lack of good targets, try a different approach on the older sites you hunt. sometimes you just have to go to a totally different area to hunt, some go several hours of driving away to newer places. where I hunt primarily, what you found would a pretty good day. could be a whole lot worse. hope it picks up for you in the future

Congrats on a silver Washington and bucket lister. I am still new to this, but if I were to make any suggestions they would be:
Do not focus on obvious spots that everybody else hits
Do not be afraid to get permissions you will get turned down but when you do not get turned down the person that grants you permission usually knows more about the property then you figured out with your research and are usually pretty exited to point you in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back