Now tell me the truth, what do you REALLY think of Kellyco?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like alot of problems with this company. I'm glad I have stayed loyal to my local detector shop. If we all use the "Home Depot" of detector sellers - Kellyco ? , we will have no mom and pop detector shops to go to, as they will all have gone out of business. Freebies are nice, but so is SERVICE when you need it. Judging by the posts under the Metal Detecting Minelab String, there have been alot of folks with problems with this company. What experiences have you had?

Upvote 0

smokeydog

Greenie
Jan 23, 2005
Ogden Utah
Detector(s) used
My Posse.. Minelab 705 & E-trac, Ace 250, X1-sunray, Garrett Pro pointer, Coiltek Joey & 15" WOT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just want to say that i agree with SCOTT IN SLC. I called "ToM" 1800-876-8377
I wanted to buy two Ace250's with headphones. "Not all the other free BS that Kellyco offers".
The end result is two showroom displays "full warranty"with GTA Headphones and shipping for $389. It really pays to shop around.

ClamBob

Jan 24, 2005
Florida East Coast
Hmmmm...do I really want in on this one?

OK
I did many weeks of research trying to decide on which detector to buy. I called KellyCo and asked for advice. They had 2 rentals that I could try out. The Excaliber and the CZ 20. If I purchased from them they would refund the rental fee. I think that's pretty cool. I'm not saying another shop somewhere else wouldn't do the same thing but still it would help anyone decide on what to purchase. I was leaning toward the CZ in spite if the fact that their warrantee was only two years at the time, but when I went into the shop, I found that Fisher had gone to a lifetime warrantee.

I did have a problem with the CZ and KellyCo told me I had to send it to Fisher myself but I shouldn't be surprised...it is the quickest way to get service (as someone mentioned above). I fixed it myself with two drops of solder.

Their pricing is nessed up by the manufacturers. I blame the manufacturers for that. If there is a scam in pricing, it's not KellyCo's fault.

So is this a rant or a rave? Niether. Just my experience with them. No real complaints here.

HH,
BobJ

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 3 detectors from Kellyco and did OK, except I traded two back for a better model. The didn't charge me full retail for the new trade up. There was a restocking fee but after all I had used the detector and it was no longer new, that I understand. What kinda' gaulled me was that I wasn't told that the two I traded back in were Chinese made. Some of their freebies are OK and some are junk. When you buy another detector you get more of the same junk! How many genuine Pakistani made pot metal digging knives can a guy use? I got some kind of God awful treasure pouch that would fit about a size 32 waist which I immediately trashed because I am a size 38! Got the same darn pouch and trashed it again with my second detector. I sent them a rather terse email suggesting they include something useful such as a coil cover or tote bag instead of the junk but never got a response. I did check with my local dealer and the price was about 30% higher than Kellyco and that didn't include a 10% sales tax. There was no bargaining with the locals, that's the price, take it or leave it. I left it. JIM aka KS

Z

ZumbroKid

I never have had a problem dealing with this well known company. But then again i have never bought anything from them either. I prefer to buy from a dealer who also hunts himself. If the local dealer does not hunt himself, what good would his suggestions be in regards to a product. Just some food for thought. A few bucks saved, can still be many wasted.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
A few months back, I called Kell___ to ask about an entry level machine. The salesman wouldn't even talk to me about the machine I wanted (IDX) but kept insisting that I would outgrow that machine in no time. He kept trying to steer me to a higher level machine. Specifically he recommended Explorer II, GTI 2500, and DFX. I'm green but not so green that I was going to spend 900_1200 dollars on something I knew nothing about. When salesman learned I wasn't interested in expensive machine, he dusted me off quickly.
grizzly bare

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I just checked out the LectraSearch reports.

There is no way in H*ll I would EVER buy ANYTHING from a company that has ripped people off for years like that.

Heck, I want to get a good price when shopping for a detector, but I refuse to lower myself to dealing with criminals.

Kind of strong language here, but that is how I feel.

I just have certain ethical standards I go by that is all.

silverhunter/dowser

Oct 5, 2004
columbia sc
I bought my 150 from kellyco and have received great service when I plan on upgrading to both the GTI 2500 and the DFX as I want to seriosly start hunting for caches I'll buy the GTI from Kellyco and the DFX from the local dealer as he has helped me a lot with my Garrett and we have recomended new sited that one or the other has found. HH

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I've always had good smooth transactions with them. When I purchase something from them, I already know what I'm looking for.

I've never really asked them for advice. If I need any metal detecting questions I need answered or some advice on something, I stick to this forum and usually get the answers here!!

HH 8) surfrat

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I have had good luck with em, except for one time i called and the guy there didnt know how to take an order :P

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
I am a pretty frugal person. When I am buying anything that I consider expensive..... all I am really concerned with is a good product & a cheap price.? Both of which I recieved when I bought my detector at kellyco. The salesperson i talked with was VERY accomodating. I knew what I wanted before I called & the saleman didnt try to get me to buy a more expenive detector (or any overstocked detector they wanted to get rid of). I bought a spectrum xlt special christmas package with a bunch of freebies all shipped free. The salesman DID suggest I buy a bullseye probe? & coil cover (and I am glad he did). He also had them both put inside the main detector box so I wouldnt have to pay shipping for them. He even allowed me to swap certain freebies that I didnt want? for others that I did. I am VERY happy with my kellyco experience. Since 1999 both the detector & the pinpointer work fine.... I am still using them today.? ?

Yes, Kellyco is the Walmart of detector stores.? They, like walmart are a kind of monopoly. But how many of you shop at walmart instead of mom & pop type stores?? ?I know I do because i need to save time & money.

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
Re: Just look at their website

ScottB said:
Their web site matches their business model: Confuse the customer so it's hard to make a sound decision on the best product for the money. I've been an online content developer for 10 years, and Kellyco's web site is one of the worst I've seen for a major retailer.

Try it for yourself. Think of a detector (say the White's MXT for example). Now visit http://www.kellycodetectors.com and see if you can find their retail price for that detector. Found it? Now how many clicks and scrolls did you have to endure before you actually found anything about that detector. It's absurd.

From the link you posted... it took me 1 click to get to a "suggested retail price" (which all suggested retail prices on any website are overinflated).? And 2 clicks to get to the information page on the mxt. From the home page it took an extra click.? They ask you to call, because as I understand it.... white's policy forbids actual pricing advertised. When I bought my whites.... I had to actually call around to different dealers to get real prices.
With Garrets it took the same number of clicks.?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread