NTSB pins most of blame for Bounty sinking on captain

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Tampa Bay Times article, in part:

The Bounty, the tall ship that used to call St. Petersburg home, sank on Oct. 29, 2012, in Hurricane Sandy off the coast of North Carolina, and a federal report released Monday pinned most of the blame on longtime captain and former St. Petersburg resident Robin Walbridge and his decision to sail toward the storm.
Of 16 members of the crew, two died — deckhand and novice sailor Claudene Christian, 42, and Walbridge, 63, whose body was never found.
The report from the National Transportation Safety Board is the first of two that are expected. The Coast Guard's report isn't finished yet. Both agencies had investigators who asked questions last February in Portsmouth, Va., at a week-and-a-half-long hearing.

Hers's the link to
[FONT=Georgia, serif]the rest of the story.[/FONT]

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 5.18.48 PM.png

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda hard to NOT come to that conclusion. That's what 90% of people said when they first read of the incident.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the Bounty was looking pretty worn out before she headed of to Davy Jone's locker but man I use to love seeing her sail into port. She was built not far from where I live.
ZDD

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Tampa Bay Times, click this for the article.

Coast Guard report.

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 8.54.16 AM.png

In part states:

The Bounty, the tall ship that once called St. Petersburg home, sank Oct. 29, 2012, in Hurricane Sandy off the coast of North Carolina, killing two of the 16 members of the crew — deckhand Claudene Christian, 42, and St. Petersburg resident and captain Robin Walbridge, 63.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was a movie prop.
Its seaworthiness was always marginal, taking it out to sea in a storm was absurd.

Not to Monday Morning Quarterback, but a few of us had a chance to go aboard that thing and it seems we shared some common opinions about what that boat really was. The girl who died sure was a looker, that's for certain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread