Upvote 0
OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
but is it ok to ask for 100 rolls? would you request from the pickup or dump bank?

thanks again and sorry i wasn't clear.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hokiemojo said:
but is it ok to ask for 100 rolls? would you request from the pickup or dump bank?

thanks again and sorry i wasn't clear.

If you feel guilty about asking for lots of free wrappers from the bank, they can be purchased relatively cheaply on eBay. The last time I checked, they were running about $10 per 1000 wrappers including shipping for cents, nickels, dimes and quarters. Half wrappers were more expensive if I remember correctly.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I usually just ask banks when I am picking up coins but have also asked when dumping. They don't mind at all, wrapping a rubber band around a handful of each of which ever I ask for. My main pickup bank gave me a full box of half and dime wrapper recently which was nice as they have lasted a while now. Whenever I have asked they are always happy to supply me with whatever I have needed.

Just ask for them, they all have holders of them on the back counter and cabinets of boxes full of them underneath.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i keep seeing people say it is bad form to reuse. i'm a bit confused on this point. maybe a mix of the two?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hokiemojo said:
i keep seeing people say it is bad form to reuse. i'm a bit confused on this point. maybe a mix of the two?

Thats just a matter of opinion. CRHers hate to see those re-wraps because they know there is about a 99.9% likelihood that there is no silver in there. However, its still going to be a skunk roll regardless of what wrapper you put the coins into. I actually like seeing them. Let me rephrase that...I don't technically "like" them but they tell me useful information. When I find these, I know that another CRHer has dumped them at this bank. If I see them regularly at that same bank, I know without a doubt that is some CRHer's regular dump bank.

Now, what indeed is bad form IMO is to re-wrap, put the folded edge down where it can't be seen, and returning them in the box that they came in. Basically trying to make your open and searched box look like an unopened one. The bank and/or coin courier may just interpret this as a full box and resell it "as is" to another CRHer or bank.

Coinsandfootball

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need to roll them just ask the bank you order from, dump at or just checking a bank for CWR's if they have wrappers. They are free and if they have them they will give them to you. I always ask any bank i go into for wrappers (sometimes a mix) just so I have them if i need them except if they have a coin counter.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't re-roll them unless that is your only option.

use the coin lock bags for exchange or deposit

use the coin counter if your area has them - mine doesn't.

Depending on the volume you are doing I would just ask the bank first, it is not a slap in the face, the banks job is to provide customers the services and products they need for their banking. If you start asking for 1000 wrappers a week, thats probably going to get you in the doghouse, but if you ask for a stack every now and then, probably ok? If you are doing high volume I would just look for them on amazon or ebay or try string and sons website, just look around?

Bigheed

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
ArkieBassMan said:
If you feel guilty about asking for lots of free wrappers from the bank, they can be purchased relatively cheaply on eBay. The last time I checked, they were running about $10 per 1000 wrappers including shipping for cents, nickels, dimes and quarters. Half wrappers were more expensive if I remember correctly.

About $16 per 1,000 wrappers for halves. I bought a box last year when I first started. I don't see myself ever doing that again.

Bigheed said:
don't re-roll them unless that is your only option.

use the coin lock bags for exchange or deposit

use the coin counter if your area has them - mine doesn't.

Re-rolling may be the best bet even if it isn't the only option. I'm not at all certain it takes less time to use the coin counter than to reroll and deposit. And many banks make you wait until the coin lock bag has been counted before you get your money.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
FormerTeller said:
Re-rolling may be the best bet even if it isn't the only option. I'm not at all certain it takes less time to use the coin counter than to reroll and deposit. And many banks make you wait until the coin lock bag has been counted before you get your money.

Agreed. There aren't many counters around here, but the few I've used are painfully slow. The one time I tried to dumps halves it took about 20 minutes to do $200. I can certainly re-roll better than one roll a minute. A couple of my dump banks (without counters) have mentioned I can also bring it in unrolled and they'll send it off in a coinlock bag, but then I would have to wait for it to be sent off and counted, plus it would leave a record of exactly how much coin I am running through their branches. Easier just to re-roll.

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The only coin that I rewrap is halves. Everything else goes into the coin machine.
I purchase the wrappers from a bank supply company in MI. 6,000 for about $24.
On my second case of 6,000. The halves go to a different dump bank and want them
back in the boxes for easier storage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions