Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok warning It's 2:30 Am, and I'm still up!:laughing7: So this is just for fun!

We hear about the usual stuff that works, rocker box, sluice, etc.. Are there any never heard of or rarely talked about inventions, or big flops for gold prospecting or gold recovery? Any big equipment? How about any dumb tools you may have made that didn't work out? Or even scam devices! I was looking for very early failures, but this could be anything. Even scam devices sold for prospecting/mining over the years.

I'm sure there are, and I did a quick search, didn't really find much, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

One of my own failures, years ago, when I first started playing around......I took a 5 gallon bucket, put a leaf blower on top(brand new), And bought fittings vacuum Hose like what's used in work shops(the heavy duty stuff). Thought and thought about this thing! Had hours in figuring it all out.Making a plate that mounted to the leaf blower and bucket lid, etc... Get it all together, I'm proud I built a contraption to suck gold!! I'm the man! I have a gas portable gold wet vacuum! Who needs anything else, I'll just suck the gold and fines up!! The light stuff will just wash out the other hole and hose! Right? :BangHead:

Ya, I missed one very important detail! In vacuum how is the water supposed to leave out the other hose? It works! For 5 gallons of water which takes a few seconds to fill.:laughing7: I feel stupid even telling this story! And to this day Have no idea why I never even thought about it. I guess I was just in a hurry to build something! And I have no problem telling my mistakes! But we don't have room on the site for all of them!:laughing7:

On the plus side? It's not a total waste! It can be used as a dry vac.to suck gold out of cracks if I ever needed to do that. Who knows where? But I have one! I also have some other ideas of how to make it work wet, but I'll get to that some day! :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn on your javascript. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans[/QUOTE
It's been awhile since I've used this! Windows crashed, and luckily I had the hard drive separated or split (I think). So I'm running a linux operating system. Backtrack5 to be exact..I can't remember how to work the thing!!(smily's here) But hey! I t got me on the net, so I can try to solve the other problem!!! Whatever works!

Thank you! Clay diggins!! I found it! It took Me a few minutes to find it and turn it on.:occasion14:

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mining nemesis has always been the various hand suction devices.

I bought a few that were complete failures. The first looked like a turkey baster, but the bulb did not seal well to the pvc tube. The second was a modified grease gun that started to rust inside when introduced to water. My last was a huge one made of PVC that broke in half when the suction tip got stuck in a crevice and the rest of the unit was pushed by the current.

The thing that I never did buy, because I have no idea how it could possibly work, is a remote metal detector. The darn things are powered by a little battery and yet it is supposed to tell you where there is gold at a distance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread