Odd Sacagawea Dollar Coin

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Day Collectors. I found an odd Sacagawea dollar coin that I would like to poll for information. The coin appears to have been altered (See Picture). It appears to be silver instead of gold colored with gold highlights. In addition the coin incuse appears to have been filled with a clear epoxy material so as to protect the coin face and relief.

Has anyone seen anything close, comment on any collector interest etc. Due to the epoxy the coin is definitely in non circulating condition and can only be held in a collection. Thank all - Look forward to your comments..

Jim
[email protected]
HYPoint Canadian Coin Exchange

Attachments

• Dollar Obverse.JPG
    Dollar Obverse.JPG
    915.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Dollar  Reverse.JPG
    Dollar Reverse.JPG
    991.8 KB · Views: 316

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Based on the images provided, I would say that the coin has been modified for the "collectible" market. The coin appears to have been plated first with a silver colored metal, perhaps nickel. The coin was then put through a process that selectively plates the highlights. This is something I see from time to time when someone who buys a lot of "collectibles" from the shopping channels seeks to sell the "collectibles", only to find the value is less than 10% of what they paid. Value on this coin: $1.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have seen some coins like that, my father-in-law (passed away a few years ago) would buy stuff from magazines and TV shopping that was supposed to be a limited edition, collectable etc. I would tell him it would never be worth anything but that just made him mad.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Exactly. This, or something similar. Make it pretty, slap a big price on it, watch the suckers shell out the bucks. Value, regardless of the plated metals is still $1. The costs of recovery of any precious metals from this coin will exceed the value of said metals.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember watching one of the commercials for one of these products... the coin actually had 5 GRAINS of 14 karat GOLD! for $59.99!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember watching one of the commercials for one of these products... the coin actually had 5 GRAINS of 14 karat GOLD! for $59.99!

I've found "Black Hills Gold" jewelry from time to time. The pieces are mainly Sterling, but have parts of the design that have actual thin pieces of gold overlay. Stamped inside is "Sterling & 14kt". How would a person separate the different metals or even the "5 grains"?

How much labor or expense in chemicals or a hot torch cost compared to what is gained by dividing it? Seems like just selling it as piece of jewelry would the easiest answer, unless it's too worn or badly damaged.

Bill

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As seen on TV... $59.95 each, but for a limited time you could buy 5 for $25 each. Hard to pass up a deal like:laughing7:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But if you are one of the first 1000 callers, we'll give you a SECOND coin. Just pay separate processing and shipping fee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread