Odd shaped quartz habit on mica schist?

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this glacially tumbled green mica schist/gneiss rock in the woods of my backyard in SE WI. On one side of it has a patch of quartz formations that have a "stacked" and stepped" appearance (not sure if that's a proper description) to them. The crystals have a hardness of 7-8 range. They are very small and cannot be seen unless magnified (the stacked ones).

Also trying to figure out if some of the mica is fuchsite variety? the rock seems to have varying colors of mica from black to greenish. the rock surface has a hardness of 2-3 on the exterior(green) as well as interior(black) on a freshly chipped section. Streak is white and black/dark green mixed powder grains that do not react to acid.

I know this is not a special rock, just interesting to me and trying to understand what it is made up of. Thx.

stacked quartz.jpg

stacked quartz2.jpg

mica on green rockA.jpg

green rock4.jpg

green rock1.jpg

green rock3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a coincidence, I was just reading about actinolite on the Wisconsin geological mineral page. Seems like the hardness is quite a bit off though to be it. Any thoughts on the first image of the quartz stdenis?

That gneiss is rich in iron, the green isn't fuschite it's probably an amphibole such as actinolite, ferro-actinolite or tremolite

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as far as the quartz, just seems like quartz to me. Anything specific that seems off about it?

Amphibole & pyroxene minerals cover a broad spectrum as rock forming minerals. Could be many different things, could be a mica colored green by chlorite too...really it's kind of an educated guessing game without microscopic or chemical analysis

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as the quartz, just seems like quartz to me. Anything specific that seems off about it?

I circled the areas of quartz that have a stacked or stepped appearance, I have not seen this before, but then again I have only been looking at rocks for 6 months so maybe this is not an uncommon habit? you may need to zoom all the way in to see it.

stacked quartz with circles.jpg

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
oh ok, I see what you mean - those are either the typical striations you will see on well formed quartz crystals (those striations don't show on the terminations) or just as you said, stacked quartz trigons. pretty cool 8-)

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I circled the areas of quartz that have a stacked or stepped appearance, I have not seen this before, but then again I have only been looking at rocks for 6 months so maybe this is not an uncommon habit? you may need to zoom all the way in to see it.

View attachment 1689595
As far as being uncommon, I would say that would depend on the area. Where I am, I see that habit in quartz as being very common where I dig. We get alot of cathedral and skeletal quartz here that looks very similar to those "trigons" as stdenis_jd calls it. It's cool that you noticed those small details in your rock!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for taking a closer look stdenis_jd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx, I look over some rocks with a loupe to see if there is anything interesting going on.

As far as being uncommon, I would say that would depend on the area. Where I am, I see that habit in quartz as being very common where I dig. We get alot of cathedral and skeletal quartz here that looks very similar to those "trigons" as stdenis_jd calls it. It's cool that you noticed those small details in your rock!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread