Oiling

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have shown this pic before, but sometimes, oil doesn't make them look better. Here are three points that I found and put them in mineral oil for close to a week. The Woodland point in the middle looks OK, but the oil didn't do the two on the ends any favors. It might have made them less attractive.

Attachments

• Oiled-1.jpg
    Oiled-1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I may have shown this pic before, but sometimes, oil doesn't make them look better. Here are three points that I found and put them in mineral oil for close to a week. The Woodland point in the middle looks OK, but the oil didn't do the two on the ends any favors. It might have made them less attractive.

Oil or not, I love those points buddy! Super beautiful colors! Good job and God bless!

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never tried the oil treatment, but some nose grease now, that's a different story!

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the oil change the color or just give it a glossy look?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant put the oil on a grainy textured artifact or a quartz but flint is fine. Mineral oil usually improves the color or at least how it should of looked at the time of the making. On quartzite or rayholite it might damage them. The flint ones will return back to their normal color. I put oil on this one before pics and since has gone back to the normal patina.

Attachments

• SDC11671.JPG
    SDC11671.JPG
    751.4 KB · Views: 44

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread