OK, DUMB question here (RE: filming live digs)

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

Just got back from vacation, so forgive the late reply, please!

Do you possibly have a link available, for the lens protector you would advise? And what do you do when you want to use that filter, that you mentioned, if they aren't "stackable" with the protector? You have to peel off the protector, to use the filter, and then vice versa? Please forgive what I am sure is a dumb question, LOL!

Thanks,

Steve

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gopro series will do fine for youtube type videos. The "go pro stop recording" stuff is the operator's cue. I don't think they are sound activated, plus you won't hear any director's yelling, cursing, screaming or throwing eggs (har har har) on pro videos!

Adobe Premier Pro is the top notch program. But it's costly, at about $50.00 per month for a years' rental but you can do all kinds of stuff the toy editing software can't.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smokey,

Thanks for the info, on the GoPro! I'm sure PowerDirector is not the best editing software, but I'm so clueless that it will be a long time, I'm sure, before I come close to "outgrowing" its capabilities. I can't remember if I looked at Adobe Premier, when I was shopping for software, as it was about a year ago when I was looking. But I'm thinking I did, and that I decided I was far too much of a noob to manage something that advanced... LOL!

Steve

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are definitely sound activated, you can completely control it via voice commands, they even have power saving mode that allows you to wake it up. The Hero 5 will shoot 4k 30fps, the 8 takes that to 60fps. Steve, the filter is fine over the protectors, I thought you meant using the filter as the protector like most people do on slr lenses (uv filter). I use these and really like them. Others I used were too thick and really messed with the touchscreen sensitivity. If you run a mac and just want to do basic editing, iMovie is free and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAVPXC3/

-Bill

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

THANKS for the link. I'm all set, now! ;)

Thank you,

Steve

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Costco has the Go pro 7 in a package with multiple attachments and a 32 gig card for $319. I got Best Buy to match Costco's price today. Minus the 32 gig card. Best Buy offers 6 month financing without interest. Costco has two mini 128 gig cards for $44. Considering Best Buy was $47 for one of those cards.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all!

I'm thinking about doing some filming of live digs, and it's something I've never done before, so I am literally "clueless," in terms of the "logistics" of trying to film a dig, and then getting it downloaded, edited, and posted.

As I think it through, I come up with many questions -- what camera(s) do the job well, where/how to mount the camera, how to turn it on/off quickly and easily (as I won't be springing for a fancy camera like Calabash Digger's, that you can TALK to, to turn it on and off, LOL!) :laughing7:

If anyone would like to answer any of the above questions -- i.e. give me some tips, that would be great. However, I have one specific question, at this point, as I try to think this through. It revolves around "audio."

I'm trying to figure out how to get good audio of the Equinox tones being heard with the target, recorded onto the video. Obviously, the external speaker on the machine would probably be the best (only) way...but -- the issue in my mind is, if I'm running Bluetooth headphones, and I hit a good target that I want to film, I can't think of quick/easy way to transfer the audio from the headphones, to the EQX external speaker (and then back again, when I'm done filming). The only way I would know of, to do it, would be to turn off the headphones (allowing the audio to transfer to the external speaker), and then -- after the dig, turn the headphones back on, and pair them to the machine again. That seems tedious; I'm sure there's an easier way. Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks!

Steve

I can't give you specifics on how to since it has been a while since I did some videos. But there are some free good video editing software programs available. When you google free video editing software be careful of the word "Free" most will give you a stripped down "Free" version or "Free" to try for 30 days. You have to dig real deep to find truly "Free" video editing software. Sometimes using the terms "open source" will get you truly free software. but be sure it is for your Mac or Windows machine. Also play around with what you think you will like first. Some of these these programs are not user friendly or intuitive.

As a goal to measure your efforts you can do no better than to look on youtube at Green Mountain Metal Detecting videos from Brad. I don't know what he uses or how he does it but the results are A+++.

Hope this general advice helps.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: