Old auto salvage yard

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one ever try MD 'ing one of those? I remember my first car and always losing coins under the seats etc. I remember the few times I would really clean that car I'd always find dome loose change. I wonder how many coins have been dumped at those old junk yards. But that may be near impossible with all the other scrap iron steel etc... Any thoughts?

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken a few coins from pick a part..

OP
OP
Walter65

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess a lot of trash to deal with. Was it worth the effort?

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From what i reckon that anything worth doing....is worth the hard work....anyway one Never knows until one tries....some of the old parts would be worth the effort....I have found old Model T parts and old Ford and Chevy emblems.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when im at a junk yard i forget all about the coins,i get lost in all the old parts,they really knew how to make em a long time ago.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spoke with a guy one time that did auto upholstery and he said it was amazing what people left trapped in the seats of their car. He said he has found diamond rings and lots of money. I told him that he had better be careful about that kind of thing because it could be considered theft.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The folks who work in junk yards have always known to look under seats and carpets for money and jewelry and they search all cars when they arrive. I doubt you'd find it worth your time to hunt through all the metal trash in the ground at a junkyard.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I was at a you pull with a friend.
While he was getting his parts, I as hopping in & out of cars picking change off floors.
there was tons of coins inside them.
apparently people removing parts don't care how much change slips out their pocket on the floors.
and I'm talking quarters etc in plain view.

I would imagine the same goes for under the vehicles.

this was not an old lot .
but it may be worth while to check. even if you need to deal with large iron.

You Pulls & the older lots where people were allowed to roam would be the ones.

Lots where they have workers to get what you need would be a waste even if they would
let you in.

I'm not sure how they would react if you asked to go in to look for change though.
especially when they charge by what you take out :tongue3:
and deal in auto parts not coins.

I've never been to Harry's but I don't see anything in the rules on coins.
Just Auto parts.
http://www.wegotused.com/?page_id=104

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty to be found on the floorboards. The pic a part I went to was full of coins. Was waiting for a friend to get his stuff, and spotted a tire iron. Out of boredom started digging a hole to see how deep the bolts etc ran. Believe it or not, in a one foot by one foot hole was still hitting compacted hardware as deep as a tire iron. Unbelievable how much the forklifts compact things.

Don't forget to take a six pack and one of soda! The guy at the gate had to be prodded to come "inspect my car for swiped parts". Gave him the six pack of Pepsi & he let me walk on a bunch of small parts. Has been real cool ever since, even pointed me to some Studebaker parts out "yonder".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread