Old cabin styles

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm just curious does anybody know anything about old cabins they used to build back in the 1800s or so. I'm wondering this cabin that I've started to metal detect was Built maybe with a canvas top. The Floor foundation and a couple logs that Go across that supported the floorboards are still there even though they're rotten into the ground but there's no evidence at all of walls or a roof. I've seen what the forest service has done to some of the old the cabins down below by the highway where they bulldoze them or tore them down but you can always tell that the wood is from walls and roofs this cabin is so remote up a steep hill side there's no way they came up there and removed all the logs for the walls and the roof because there's no way to access that area there never was any roads only a mule trail back in the day .and there's absolutely no logs anywhere around the area that would've been from the cabin. So I'm just wondering how common maybe it was in a remote area to build a nice floor foundation and just put up some kind a canvas walls or roof. maybe if somebody has some pictures or something that would be cool just trying to figure this thing out

MUDSLINGER

Apr 4, 2014
Bourbon IN.
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the missing logs but you have an excellent chance of finding a hidden cache. Under the floor boards would be a good start. Hunt it hard and look for markers.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Settlers built homes out of whatever was available or they could haul in with them. Where wood wasn't available, they built them out of sod, or even hay and mud. You could try a Google search of "pioneer home construction in -- state" and see what you get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread