OP
OP
T

toulouse

Feb 27, 2017
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
appreciate the links...........very helpful. at least now i have an idea of what to pursue figuring this thing out.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Neat find.

This would be called a ā€˜treenā€™ (literally ā€˜of the treeā€™) measure and the term is used to describe all manner of small utilitarian items hand carved from wood in olden times. Although such measures were indeed used aboard ships as rum measures and for other purposes (a Royal Navy item would be marked with the ā€˜broad arrowā€™ to indicate it was government property) they were more widely used by merchants, market traders, shops and taverns. They were used both for dry goods and liquids (especially beer), and the actual capacity was usually carved somewhere along the rim (or sometimes together with the crown mark).

The ā€˜VRā€™ mark with the crown is a ā€˜capacity markā€™, indicating that the vessel has been approved by an official Weights and measures Inspector as being the correct (marked) capacity. Such marks became a nationwide legal requirement in Britain in 1836, but had been voluntarily self-applied by some makers prior to that, as well as having been formally enforced by some city authorities such as London & Westminster. Also, unmarked vessels which remained in use after 1836 were habitually officially marked retrospectively.

Until about 1878 each town generally had its own style of mark. From roughly 1879 onwards a uniform style was adopted consisting of a crown, the monarchā€™s title (as VR, GR or ER) and a number to denote the location where it was inspected. Measures often received multiple inspections during their lifetime and may carry several verification marks. Sometimes inspectors merely stamped a two digit number under the original mark to denote the year of re-inspection.

The other mark is a bit of a mystery. I would like to think itā€™s ā€˜G III Rā€™ for George III (1760-1820) but, although I could persuade myself the first letter is a ā€˜Gā€™ (looks more like a ā€˜Cā€™ to me), the second letter doesnā€™t look at all like an ā€˜Rā€™ (seems to be a ā€˜Wā€™ or an ā€˜Mā€™). The crown is also atypical of Georgeā€™s royal cipher. My best guess is that this is a pre-1836 self-applied mark by, and for, the maker, but with an intentional resemblance to George IIIā€™s cipher. Note also that there appears to be an ā€˜ARā€™ mark alongside it, sometimes seen on early measures and of uncertain meaning, but usually with a crown above it.

Treen.jpg

So, I would think this is probably a late Georgian measure which has subsequently been officially inspected in Victorian times, between 1838 and 1879 (but likely the very beginning of that period).

Upvote 3

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it bears a resemblance to oak. If so, likely white oak. That species is used for rum barrels too.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this piece of treen some time ago. I auctioned it on ebay not long after I purchased it and it attracted some good bidding activity and sold for maybe over $80.00 if I recall. I do remember the person who won the auction was in the UK and sent me a note after he received it saying he was well pleased with it and to notify him if I ever come by anymore pieces like it. I never did find out where it might of come from or how old it could be. When I found it in a flea market I did believe it to have some age to it. In this link I attached a video of this fella with a bit of explanation on what treen is.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread