old knife for $1.50

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,
Thank you for viewing this thread. Got this last Saturday. Hope someone might know something about this type of knife and maybe the age. There are not any maker marks, but possibly it said warranted on the blade and it was sharpened away. I see some pits. Blade - 5 3/16 inches long, 7/8 i IMAG1163.jpg nch at widest point, and handle = 3 13/16 inches long. Has brass pins holding the handle on which is bone or antler. Razor sharp. Best to all.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it's a little older, late 1800's/early 1900's. Value is about what you paid for it. Though it's possible, by the 40's-50's most non metallic handles were bakelite, faux bone/ivory or celluloid.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... This is Civil War Era... 1860's era ISH... knife.

original.jpg

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... This is Civil War Era... 1860's era ISH... knife.

View attachment 1330465

It is very possible that it could date from the CW period. In my opinion though, most bone handled cutlery is advertised as "Civil War era" merely as a marketing ploy. In reality bone handled cutlery was produced for decades after the war and well into the 20th century. I'm judging it by the general shape of the blade, especially the end of it. Excessive sharpening could be the cause but the older knives are generally more rounded and blunt on the end as shown in the photo you produced.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say 1860's ... :P

Due to another reason :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say 1860's ... :P

Due to another reason :)
Like I said it's quite possible but hard to prove, that's all. Brass pins and the word "warranted" were also used well after the 1860's in terms of flatware. I currently have a handful of this type of flatware by various makers and have handled this type of flatware many times in the past as "CW era" is an interest of mine. None of them could be traced to actually being "CW era only". Unless you have a piece made by a maker that was out of business by the time the war ended, or pieces handed down through the family with provenance, I don't see how anyone could put such a precise date on bone handled flatware. I've stated my reasons, care to share yours?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im positive that knife is from the Civil War era....maybe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread