old map to modern location ????

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
A friend of mine has a map of an of amusement park and church camp 1880-1940. The place is now a park/swimming pool complex. We hunted it last week and found a gold ring and some modern clad. We are going to hunt it again in October but it's such a big area we don't know where to start :dontknow: How do you translate info from old maps to presnet day sites ??? Any advice would be great.

Ace Villa-v

Drt Dvl

Greenie
Aug 20, 2010
Wild water West
Detector(s) used
home built Eagle ratrod
Do an overlay .....which is basically a see thru copy of the old map on top of a modern map...then figure out ...where ,what, was, when.

S

Smee

You can take an old map, overlay it in Google Earth --- sometimes takes a bit of "trial and error" --- and manipulate the old map in Google Earth until "known" locations on both will match up (I usually use 3-4 know locations).

Then, move the cursor over the location on the old map, and you can then put those coordinates into your GPS to guide you to the exact location within a few yards (usually . . . depends on the accuracy of the old map) to begin your search. Very helpful.

I use the process for locating old trails such as "traces" that were originally Indian trails. Interesting results, and usually pretty accurate with a quality map.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been working with old aerial photos and new aerial photos and maps.
I've written a 'slider' so you can compare maps.

Check it out under the "Misc Projects" section of my site:

http://menotomymaps.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread