Old out of production Tesoros can still provide tons of fun!!

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is my story. I purchased a used silver sabre uMax off of ebay for less than 175.00 shipped a few weeks ago. It only came with the 5.75 coil on it. I had been keeping it inside of my car as an on the spot detector. I had not tried it out per say other than just testing it to make sure it worked correctly. I had been working on a very hot day and come home. It was about 6 p.m. and I put up the tools and all back into the shed. I decided to take my newly acquired silver sabre umax out into the woods just too see if I could find some old shotgun brass and such as I have found many times before here. I was just wanting to relax and clear my mind after a hot day of work. That was all I was doing really. Mind you guys, I have lived here for over 11 years and have found nothing I would consider a relic. Just 1950's bullets, old shotgun brass, modern pistol cartridge casings and such. Out by the woods line I dug the one on the left first. I could not believe my eyes and as it was laying face down on top of the ground when it came out of the hole. I thought to myself, that cannot be what I think it is. Sure enough after wiping away the soil off the face of it, I could see U.S on it. A civil war federal bit boss. After looking at it for about 15 minutes and running over to show the wife, I wondered to myself if there could be the mate to it. After about 20 minutes and only 12 feet away, I dug the mate to it. I am still on cloud 9 with these 2 cool bit bosses. Just goes to show you just never know what is on your own property!! I just do not think I would be able to part with this old silver sabre umax either. It is realaly cool when your first finds are something special trying out a unit too. I guess that adds to the keeping of the detector too.

Attachments

• 20160909_191611.jpg
    20160909_191611.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 80

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So here is my story. I purchased a used silver sabre uMax off of ebay....

I'm sure you already know, but the SS series are all Tesoro cult classics, and among the best detectors they ever made. Silver Sabre microMAX is one of my favorite park detectors! ^_^

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did know that about the silver sabre series but this silver sabre Umax is almost as sensitive and as deep as my Bandido 2 Umax with the 8 inch coil. That was surprising to me. I have had 2 silver sabre 2 units. Matter of fact the silver sabre 2 was my first tesoro and the one that turned me on to tesoro units in general. I must confess the sabre 2 units were not as deep as the silver sabre uMax is. Although fun units, after using other tesoros through the years I did notice a lack of depth. My friend just acquired a silver sabre Plus. It packs alot of punch too. I was very surprised at it. I have also had a Conquistador. The one with the switch under the control housing. It performed well for me too. I still enjoyed it and I wish I had held on to it. I guess that was the excuse I had for buying this new to me silver sabre umax. Anyways this one is turning into a favorite real fast. It does have a different tone than my bandido 2 umax. Heck if I found this with an amigo 2 I would feel the same way about it...LOL!!!

I'm sure you already know, but the SS series are all Tesoro cult classics, and among the best detectors they ever made. Silver Sabre microMAX is one of my favorite park detectors! ^_^

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! Way cool finds! :notworthy:

SandomingoJim

Sep 8, 2016
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM 1000, Whites Goldmaster II, Tesoro Bandido II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on the nice finds! My first Tesoro was the "Mayan" then next, the "Eldorado". I still have the big box "Bandido II" with three different sized coils.
You just can't go wrong with them. I remember one time I dropped my "Mayan" detector on a rock, my fault for sure. I took it to Jack Gifford the owner of Tesoro (now deceased) and told him what happened. He called me the next day to come and pick it up, and there was no charge. The Gifford family stands behind their product with outstanding customer service. :notworthy:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The SSumax amd the Eldorado umax are both desirable choices from the no longer produced lineup imho. You won't go wrong if you can find a clean used one of either model.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions