Old Permission - Field 3 - Day 1 - Hammered...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather better than expected, all the rain came last night which made it a bit sticky but OK.
After recently showing the landowners the Tudor Treasure before it went into the system, I have changed strategies. This is because I assumed all the fields would be drilled with Spring Wheat but they are actually leaving about 6 fields undone. Therefore, my focus is still areas we have never gridded but on fields that will be drilled soon.
They also let me on the crop for a short period after drilling, so I'm trying to extend all the windows of opportunity available to me.
The last & pretty much only time we did this field (calling it Field 3 for now) was back in 2011. We had about 5 scrappies down the far end, but I want to start gridding the other side of the hedge from Field 2, as I was following some breadcrumbs.

It was a solo hunt for 4 hours, & I wanted to get to a point where I could easily return without marking off. So I gridded up-to the first tyre track. This took 2.5 hrs & I used the rest of the time to zig-zag the width of the field looking for hotspots. There were none but I lucked out a hammered, so happy with that.

4 Scrappies
2 Lead Tokens (1 Shycock type)
Lead Cloth Seal
Queen Anne Trade Weight
Victorian Clock Key (I think as its not right for a barrel tap)
Victorian Pre-1881 46th (South Devonshire) Regiment of Foot Button (Nice condition & pretty sure its one I need)
Jetton
Ed I Hammered Penny - Canterbury Mint

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Upvote 11

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice getting a hammered for the outing.
The 46th button is in great condition.
What's the little 4 hole jobby next to it and the weight?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the little 4 hole jobby next to it and the weight?
Good spot, never had one or seen one like it, so no idea on the 4 hole thingy. Although it looks 17th C or earlier & doesn't look broken.:icon_scratch:
The trade weight is a Anne period one, so early 1700s.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good spot, never had one or seen one like it, so no idea on the 4 hole thingy. Although it looks 17th C or earlier & doesn't look broken.:icon_scratch:
The trade weight is a Anne period one, so early 1700s.
For some reason I've got this thought of it being a centre joiner for cloth.
The thread would go through the holes joining the 4 corners of cloth, or what ever.
Even a leather lacing.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason I've got this thought of it being a centre joiner for cloth.
The thread would go through the holes joining the 4 corners of cloth, or what ever.
Even a leather lacing.
It does look like a mini strap-junction.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather better than expected, all the rain came last night which made it a bit sticky but OK.
After recently showing the landowners the Tudor Treasure before it went into the system, I have changed strategies. This is because I assumed all the fields would be drilled with Spring Wheat but they are actually leaving about 6 fields undone. Therefore, my focus is still areas we have never gridded but on fields that will be drilled soon.
They also let me on the crop for a short period after drilling, so I'm trying to extend all the windows of opportunity available to me.
The last & pretty much only time we did this field (calling it Field 3 for now) was back in 2011. We had about 5 scrappies down the far end, but I want to start gridding the other side of the hedge from Field 2, as I was following some breadcrumbs.

It was a solo hunt for 4 hours, & I wanted to get to a point where I could easily return without marking off. So I gridded up-to the first tyre track. This took 2.5 hrs & I used the rest of the time to zig-zag the width of the field looking for hotspots. There were none but I lucked out a hammered, so happy with that.

4 Scrappies
2 Lead Tokens (1 Shycock type)
Lead Cloth Seal
Queen Anne Trade Weight
Victorian Clock Key (I think as its not right for a barrel tap)
Victorian Pre-1881 46th (South Devonshire) Regiment of Foot Button (Nice condition & pretty sure its one I need)
Jetton
Ed I Hammered Penny - Canterbury Mint

View attachment 2140835 View attachment 2140836 View attachment 2140837 View attachment 2140838 View attachment 2140839 View attachment 2140840 View attachment 2140841 View attachment 2140842 View attachment 2140843
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread