Omega Watch From Local Estate Sale

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I got a call this morning from a friend that runs estate sales. His partners had a last minute request to do a sale yesterday that needed to happen today. The deceased was a relatively famous local artist so they agreed.....& they somehow forgot to let me know until after the sale had been running a couple hours. I picked up this Omega watch for $5. Looks pretty rough but does run. The dial is in fairly rough shape. The 0 in the 10 is missing, Omega under the symbol is partially gone, & Swiss Made at the 6 o'clock position is partially gone. I'm thinking this is an older model. I also believe it's got a snap on case back. Unfortunately I'm not seeing anywhere to insert a case knife to open it. Any help with ID and/or opinions about removing the back would be helpful.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2669.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 228

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely not a snapback, movement accessible from front only. Nice watch, worth repairing the dial.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I'm thinking it was made in the early to mid 1950s?. Yes that be a nice one to restore, but as it is now looks to be in mostly original state condition which it can only ever be once in its lifetime. The crown and acrylic crystal may have been updated at some point in time. Hopefully the zero chapter is stuck down in the parameter of the dial if it had never been opened after if came off. I have I think an early Seiko 23j Bellmatic I need to recover a lose dial marker on someday. Seems rare these days to find any classic vintage wristwatches for me anymore so kudos to you.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Agreed it looks to be a front loader and early 1950?s seems about right. Solid watch.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't see any notches for a case knife. How do you open a front loader? Once I get it open I'm assuming I'll also have to remove the crown to take the movement out. I'm not sure I can do all that without damaging the watch.....but can't sell the watch without pictures of the movement.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THe bezel comes off the top then the movement comes out THe notch should be in your favor to remove the movement. I would not restore the dial and look closely for the missing chapter. These are cool watches. I myself would keep it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread