One of my BEST pieces thanks to the internet....

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
A HUMUNGOUS Thank You!!! to a fellow member of the Facebook Stoneware Group I belong to. The jug was in Mass. during a sale and the seller was good enough to allow me to pick it up today in Rhode island. We were both hesitant to ship it, me because of it's rarity and the chance it could arrive as a stoneware jigsaw puzzle, and him because it's just not something he wants to be bothered with...

Henry Wardle was born in England in 1836, he was married to wife Helen and they had a daughter Minnie. He was a grocer who opened in Paterson in 1854 at the corner of East Ellison St. and Summer St., in 1879 he moved to 297 Van Houten which is directly across the street from his original store. He also sold liquor and considered himself a saloon owner, today the building is still a small grocery store with a few apartments above.

This is only the 2nd Albany Slip scratch jug I have ever seen or heard of from Paterson N.J., and the other was from Meyer Brothers Boston Store, a large department store in the city. As you can see it is as nice as the day it was made, it couldn't be in any better condition if I went back in my time machine and took it off the assembly line myself.

This is certainly in my top 5 stoneware pieces and I feel so lucky it found me, it will take it's rightful place on the top shelf in my new display...

Attachments

• zzzw1.jpg
    zzzw1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 89
  • zzzw2.jpg
    zzzw2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 83
  • zzzw3.jpg
    zzzw3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 90
  • zzzw4.jpg
    zzzw4.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 98
  • zzzw5.jpg
    zzzw5.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 88
  • zzzward1861.jpg
    zzzward1861.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 79
  • zzzwardle.jpg
    zzzwardle.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 84

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats . That one does look special. So much history !!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congratulations, that is one beautiful jug! I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

I was just looking at this address on Google Maps - it's so cool when you know where something came from and the building is still there. Those alleyways around the corner on Summer St look like they would have some awesome privy digging!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is one nice looking jug. Looks like it was just made

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread