One pan, no gold but garnets galore!

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grabbed a pans worth of dirt from an inside bank of a tributary/wash last time I was out prospecting in the desert near the white tank mountains about 7 miles west of the white tanks actually, I just got around to panning it down this morning, no gold but a lot of pretty garnets, to small to be valuable but I thought I'd share... 20190428_081804.jpg 20190428_080333.jpg 20190428_075340.jpg 20190428_075716.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I had your picture up my wife asked what's are those. I said garnets but she asked if they could be spinel.
I also wondered as garnets in West NM the garnets are common but usually very dark and some lighter ones were thought to be rubies when first collected.
Spinel stones are lighter and a color similar to yours. You'd be lucky if they were spinel. Similar hardness but different chemically.

A story about NM garnets. They were found in ant hills. Still are. There were theories about why they were in the hills. Some thought they came from below and were just dug up. Others thought the stones were used to warm the ant eggs. Jim From Idaho had an interesting bit to add about a woman writing a thesis about it. Her studies showed the garnets along with diamonds were collected by the ants as far away as (I think) 100 feet. That would seam to indicate reasoning so maybe the ant egg theory has merit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen anything with a octahedral shape so that's why I ruled out spinel, even if it were spinel I still think they are too small to be valuable but they sure are pretty, that was only one pan of material that produced all those garnets, if I even found one a karat in size I'd be out there digging right now. We have ant hill garnets here in Az as well, its actually our most popular garnets found in Arizona but they are small rarely ever a karat in size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago I was at a mine where there were so many garnets that the place was being considered for making sandpaper.
They were very dark, almost black and mostly small. But not all. Still a long way from pyrope.
Yours have great color.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I had your picture up my wife asked what's are those. I said garnets but she asked if they could be spinel.
I also wondered as garnets in West NM the garnets are common but usually very dark and some lighter ones were thought to be rubies when first collected.
Spinel stones are lighter and a color similar to yours. You'd be lucky if they were spinel. Similar hardness but different chemically.

A story about NM garnets. They were found in ant hills. Still are. There were theories about why they were in the hills. Some thought they came from below and were just dug up. Others thought the stones were used to warm the ant eggs. Jim From Idaho had an interesting bit to add about a woman writing a thesis about it. Her studies showed the garnets along with diamonds were collected by the ants as far away as (I think) 100 feet. That would seam to indicate reasoning so maybe the ant egg theory has merit.

Yes...the ants collect the stones to protect the mound from the elements. The thesis stated that the ants, to maximize their foraging energy efficiency, had a genetic predisposition to collect the heaviest things they find....which explains why the gems are collected whenever they're found. The mounds have chambers inside (the reason they shouldn't be destroyed), and the ants move their larvae in and out of the chambers, to keep them at the correct temperature. The ants also do the same with the seeds they collect. They live on seeds. To prevent the seeds from getting damp and sprouting, they move them into the warmer chambers to keep them dry.
Some mounds are as many as 50 years old.
Jim

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few years ago I was at a mine where there were so many garnets that the place was being considered for making sandpaper.
They were very dark, almost black and mostly small. But not all. Still a long way from pyrope.
Yours have great color.

Yup...pyropes are some of most brilliant garnets. I've found many in Wyoming, but rarely any big enough to facet.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your pic Jim in Idaho, I have a little horned lizard friend out at my fire agate spot I always say hi to when I'm out there, I first saw him two years ago, he was tiny and every time I've been out there I've watched him get a little bigger, I know it's the same fella because he has one longer spike on his right side and I've never seen another horned lizard with that defect. Back to the garnets, something weird happened, I stuck a magnet over and on the garnets and they weren't magnetic, I mean at all. Any ideas why they wouldn't?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were in the pan as well, the colorless one fluorescence yellow under a short wave uv light, any thoughts anybody? 20190429_141608.jpg 20190429_141507.jpg

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like your pic Jim in Idaho, I have a little horned lizard friend out at my fire agate spot I always say hi to when I'm out there, I first saw him two years ago, he was tiny and every time I've been out there I've watched him get a little bigger, I know it's the same fella because he has one longer spike on his right side and I've never seen another horned lizard with that defect. Back to the garnets, something weird happened, I stuck a magnet over and on the garnets and they weren't magnetic, I mean at all. Any ideas why they wouldn't?

It amazed me when I found so many of the horned lizards in Wyoming, at elevations above 6,000'. In the Green River Basin, I'd see about a dozen every day. They live primarily on ants, so it's no surprise there are so many...there are many, many anthills.
Not all garnets contain iron. I think Alamandine's have the most. The pyropes have very little.
Jim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions