Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just finished tumbling an open pontil food jar. Not sure why I didn't notice before, but this bottle has about five grooves left in the base across the open pontil scar.

As a WAG, was this done by the bottle maker to score off excess glass from the scar while the bottle was still hot?

pontil.jpg

jar1.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Just finished tumbling an open pontil food jar. Not sure why I didn't notice before, but this bottle has about five grooves left in the base across the open pontil scar.

As a WAG, was this done by the bottle maker to score off excess glass from the scar while the bottle was still hot?

Just what is your theory about how the gaffer held the hot bottle while he scraped the bottom?

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Just what is your theory about how the gaffer held the hot bottle while he scraped the bottom?

Gingerly?

Seriously, I have no theory. I merely posted a question. I posted it in hopes that someone in the know might be able to explain the creases, grooves, lines, or whatever the proper name for the marks are.

Just looking for wisdom.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah, yet another mysterious item, nice work Dug! :laughing7:

My theory is that the grooves were carved into the base of the mold on order to purposefully make the surface of the base of the bottles uneven, perhaps so the empontiling process would go more smoothly (more surface area and divots for the ring of glass to stick to, so fewer might accidentally fall off and break during production), or perhaps for some sort of structural benefit (somehow minimizing the base-cracks often seen in OP bottles, which would spread or cause complete failure when piping-hot foodstuffs were being packaged). Those lines go underneath the pontil mark so were not done afterward.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My theory is that the grooves were carved into the base of the mold on order to purposefully make the surface of the base of the bottles uneven, perhaps so the empontiling process would go more smoothly (more surface area and divots for the ring of glass to stick to, so fewer might accidentally fall off and break during production), or perhaps for some sort of structural benefit (somehow minimizing the base-cracks often seen in OP bottles, which would spread or cause complete failure when piping-hot foodstuffs were being packaged). Those lines go underneath the pontil mark so were not done afterward.

So I am a glass artist and plumbata may be on to something. Though usually a sand pontil(bit of glass rolled in sand to make less secure connection to prevent chipping) was used before marring the surface like that. Could have been a gaffers solution who didn't know about these techniques. These lines look smooth like it happened in the hot process(correct me if I am wrong about the smoothness). Could also be from a few other things, like mould imperfections, possibly a damaged mould, maybe glass got stuck into a mould (mould too hot) and these are the scrape marks from a tool used to scrap out the mould? Could also have made a mistake going into the mould or closing it around the piece that created dents/folds on the surface. Really hard to say how it happened, glass can be a fussy beast sometimes.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very good observation Plumbata. The lines are deep but smooth. Had I looked a little closer and seen that the lines went underneath the scar I could have saved myself a red@ssing from Harry LOL. it's all good.

Now for my next trick...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions