Operating Frequencies

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Can someone tell me what, if any, advantages and or disadvantages different detector operating frequencies have on what and how they detect? Like does 17 khz work better on gold and 10khz better on silver (random examples)? Or are different detectors designed to use different frequencies to reduce interference to each others detectors? Dang, i think i may have confused my self even more. I hope you understand my question. Thanks for any advice/ answers.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do a google search for Whites V3i metal detector.Take a look at the manual they explain it in there.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are correct in your thinking. Frequency dose matter. For the single frequncy machine, the lower frequencies punch deeper and respond better to high conductor like copper and silver. High freqs respond better to gold but can't go as deep.

MadPixelPusher

Oct 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
Surf P.I. Dual Field
Minelab knowledge base:

As a rule of thumb, the lower the frequency used by the detector, the deeper it can penetrate the ground. At low frequencies however, sensitivity to small low conductive targets is reduced. The higher the frequency, the higher the sensitivity to small targets, but will not penetrate as deeply. In general, gold detectors operate at higher frequencies (to find small nuggets), while coin and treasure detectors work at lower frequencies for deeper penetration. The exception to this is MPS type metal detectors that are sensitive and deep seeking simultaneously.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think it is more a matter of target size/frequency. Higher frequencies reflect better off of smaller targets and lower frequencies reflect better off of larger targets. It all has to do with the wave length of the frequency. Look at it this way, the AM frequency band works best with a car antenna length while while the K bands like Direct TV uses work with an antenna about{ 1" }. PS the dish is not the antenna, the antenna is in that LNB box in front of it. Also lower frequencies travel further thru land and water. I believe the navy uses 2HZ frequency to communicate with our subs. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 347

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that many of you are confusing electromagnetic wave propagation with electromagnetic induction (EMI). Most of the analogies above are more appropriate to electromagnetic wave propagation which is how a ground penetrating radar (GPR) operates in the approximately 10 MHz to 4 GHz frequency range. Metal detectors are usually electromagnetic induction sensors and typically operate in the 100 Hz to 100 kHz frequency range. EMI metal detectors almost universally use a coil of wire as a transmitter and a coil as a receiver, and depending on the design type of the detector it may be the same loop. Wave propagation instruments require an antenna to convert a signal into propagating energy, which may also be a a loop of wire but with a quite different geometry than an induction coil. While it is generally true that lower frequencies penetrate deeper than higher frequencies, penetration is also a function of the size, geometry and spacing of the transmitter and receiver. Most inexpensive consumer devices, including most metal detectors, have designs that are primarily due to the economics of how to design the least expensive item that will meet the minimum requirements of the purchaser while still being of a high enough quality to have a significant number of purchasers. Professional grade devices have a very different set of engineering economic design constraints which is why they typically cost much more, sometimes an order of magnitude or more.

Communication with submarines
Communication with submarines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread